1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Activity Causing Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Razoroth, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

Hey there, not sure if this is the right place to put this as it concerns hardware, software, and windows so I'll just start here...

Now before I start, I must state that this problem started on my last setup. I was told my power supply in my low profile case may have been causing some gaming problems with my video card, and screen blackouts on my 32inch LCD TV i'm using via a DVI to HDMI cable to do my work and play my games now. So I took the advice, and grabbed a custom case i never used, took a normal sized power supply out of a gateway GT5404 I had around, and put my lowprofile motherboard, graphics card, and 2 SATA HDD drives into my unused case. Everything installed well, plugged up, connected 2 IDE (not SATA) dvd rom burners to the motherboard, and plugged in the main power to the motherboard.

Now that being said, here was my first concern: Everything coming from the power supply connected fine. I had 3 SATA power connecters, which i used 2 of, older power connecters for my IDE dvd drives, floppy (yup still got one) etc. But the main power connecter that goes to the motherboard to give it power (i believe it always says P1 on it, it's the big long plug) was "longer" than the female plug on the motherboard. By that i mean the female had X number of slots, in 2s, and the male plug from the power supply has 2 more pairs of 2 that just "hang" over the end of the female plug. It DOES however fit, although thoses last 2 rows don't connect to anything, and DOES power the motherboard up (obviously because i'm writing this from the computer itself now with no current problems atm.)

Now if that is the cause, then I'm not sure what I can do right now as I have no money to get another power supply right now as my fiance's computer is in dire need of a graphics card cuz she burned hers up a few days before my problems started.

On to my main problem:

The problem I'm having concerns mainly installs (games, programs, etc) and hanging issues. Most of the time things run smoothly on windows 7, aside from the occasional lags and hangs with firefox and IEexplorer which i thought were due to a weak wifi signal i'm working off of at the moment. But I started to notice more and more programs being affected. My first thought, of course, was malware/spyware/virus. So rather than worry about running scans (since programs and processes and installs were hanging and taking forever to install, or not installing at all) I just decided to do a complete wipe and start over. I backed up all my important data (scanned with AVG for safety, AVG seemed to not be affected by this problem, but the amount of space used when backing up would have taken hours, and i'm quite impatient, lol.) Next, I loaded up my windows 7 install CD and deleted my partition, and chose to install. Installation started, and at this point was when i noticed that "copying files" hung at 0% for quite some time, I'd say about 20 minutes or so, then quickly copied. Next, "Expanding Files" after many many tries of restarting the install, in the end still took almost 3 hours to get to 100%. Now from researching the web, I've seen that this can sometimes be normal, but only in the case of a upgrade or migration from vista or xp, as during this the installation is trying to do something with the previous programs and installed data and files. But my install was a Clean Install from a wiped hard drive with no partition. On this very same hard drive, from a clean wipe and no partition in the past, Windows 7 has installed in under 30 minutes, every time i've done this (I'd say about 4 times since release, I do this regularly to keep my system running smooth.)

So I decide to let it run it's course for the 3 hours, and finally my operating system is installed. I activate, do windows update, and everything is fresh. Now to test my first install to see if my problem is resolved...

And as you can probably guess, it did not. ANY installation I do, including the one in the picture I'm going to post at the end of this, hangs for a VERY long time, and causes my windows, programs, even simple apps like MSpaint while i was trying to document this, to hang for insane periods of time, or stop responding all together and force me to end task and let it restart itself. This problem has baffled me, and The only thing I can think is that the main HDD has started to give out from overuse. I really hope there is another solution to this, but since this problem has reoccured through 2 clean installs of windows 7 fully updated, It can only lead me to believe that my HDD is finally starting to reach the end of it's life. When I'm NOT trying to install anything, everything tends to run fine, like I said before, but will "hiccup" every few minutes say, while web browsing, and cause programs to hang again. I've noticed in Resource Manager that during these times of "unstable environment conditions" I guess I'd call it, my HDD Activity on my C: drive does a repeated fluxuation from 0% "highest activity" to 100%, in a regular, repeated pattern every few seconds. No processes are shown to be doing this, and the biggest spikes i get are from "system" most of the time, but those lines highlighted on the graphs do not anywhere closely match the activity that's going on.

So there it is, my biggest problem to be solved. Whether it be the power supply, the HDD, or a glitch on the firmware of the HDD perhaps causing high activity issues, I have no clue. I've reached my wits end with this system and it's problem, and I would really like to salvage the HDD if possible, otherwise I've forced to lose a HDD and wipe and install windows on my secondary SATA drive and lose 250 worth of available storage space (the faulty HDD)

Please if someone has seen this before, or can figure out from my description here and pictures posted, what the heck is going on with my system, I would appreciate ANY information.

Here are the print screen shots of the activity. First During an installation (these installs btw have never caused my system to operated this badly, i've always been able to continue my work on ANY install) and the second screenshot taken a few minutes after the process for a different installation had already been terminated and fully unloaded from the process tree and activity list on the monitor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The Problem could be the Power Supply frm the gateway computer. I am not talking about the P1 Connector. THe last 4 pins on it are obviously not needed by your motherboard. Some motherboards do require the 24 pin connections and some do not. But Gateway is notorious for using under powered and low quality Power supplies and just may not be providing the power needed buy your system. Running a system with an under powered PSU can cause damage to some system components. I would suggest investing in a power supply from a quality manufacturer. Some where in a 550 watt or 600 watt range that provides18 to 24 amps per +12vdc rail or if a single 12vdc rail in the range of 34 to 50 amps.

3. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

So by changing the power supply will that eliminate the unexplained nasty HDD activity? Believe it or not the last power supply i had on this motherboard was a low profile (the MB came from a low profile case/powersupply that was built by the last owner) and was had noticeably less power coming from it. The reason I know this is because I DID get a chance to stress test the new setup before formatting and reinstalling windows. I went from a normal 7-13 fps at max settings (with shadows turned off) on world of warcraft, to 78-86 fps with same settings in the same area of the game. The gateway's power supply definitely increased the performance of my computer, but at the same time is when I noticed that my HDD problem started to happen more often and it started preventing me from installing new games and applications.

Not saying you're not right however, I can totally believe it's the power supply. I just want to avoid costly replacements that don't fix my problem. Me and my fiance are both still actively seeking employment, and funds are pretty much nil...

I will however check the +12V rail and all and will post the info of both the gateway power supply and also the info on the other power supply that was in use before.

And lastly for my reply, if I DO absolutely need to replace the power supply, then what should I look for? I use an NVidia 9500 GT 512MB Lowprofile, with an American trends low profile motherboard (I did put these in a large case however) also using 2 sata HDDs, 2 IDE drives (will be putting my sata DVD-RW in place of one of those once I have another SATA power plug on a new power supply) and i have 1 older 4-pin power plug for a fan, and another that powers the neon lights on the front of the tower.

So with that setup, what should I be looking for on the specs of my target power supply?

will post power readings when i get back home from paying bills.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well, no I can't say with certainty that the new power supply will cure the Hard Drive activity problem. And if your computer is running well at the moment otherwise with the power supply from the gateway, it is not as urgent to replace it immediately, I would though put the replacement on a list of future upgrades for the reasons I stated earlier. If you could post more about the specs of your computer such as Make and model Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard, it would be easier to help find an appropriate PSU with a decent price to give you an idea where to start.

5. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

Well I decided to sacrifice the WD2500JD and formatted my second HDD, a WD2500JS which I read was a SATA II drive, so performance should hopefully increase for data transfers at least. I removed the gateway power supply (Which happened to be a 300W with 18A on the 12V rail) and put in the older 450W power supply I had in the closet in. It only has 1 SATA power connector, but since I think my original SATA HDD is faulty anyways, I'm not bothered by it... Although I cannot use my SATA DVD burner in that PC anymore. (Are there SATA power extensions to add more power connectors like the 4-pin connectors have on the market? If so what should I search for to find one?)

I talked to someone at a local PC repair store while pricing a video cards and power supplies, and he suggested that I check Western Digital's website, and download the disk check utility and scan my drives. I did so, and on the first scan, immediately popped up saying cable scan failure, please check cables and try again. But my cables were all connected correctly, and seemed fine. On the next boot up and scan, it started, then just hung at the cable scan... A bit later I checked the S.M.A.R.T. log on the utility, and it showed that my "Raw Read Error Rate" was at a value of "200" and the 200 was in red, with a failed and a red X next to the line item. The tool nor the help section explains what this means. The other Hard drive, the SATA II WD2500JS, showed the same value of "200" in that field, but was not in red... Not quite sure what this means. Obviously it's throwing an error on the S.M.A.R.T. check, which means it is most likely something wrong with the hard drive.

Now then, again, I removed that hard drive for now since I can only use one SATA power connector on the power supply I put in there, and I have windows 7 installing right now. It seems to be taking just as long to install however... So I'm not sure if this is just my luck on install time, or if there's a problem elsewhere in the system that I have not figured out yet. I was starting to think maybe the installation disk was bad, but then again why would it do this from 2 different copies of windows?

And as far as Full system specs, I've not yet take the time to take it fully apart again to get the model numbers and names of every part I have in my system so I can't post that yet, unless you know of a free utility I can use for that purpose that will just scan my hardware setup and give me a log file to post (would be great actually so I could have this on hand for future problems without having to take my system apart piece by piece to post things)

By the way, thanks for actually taking the time to read all these posts... I'm quite descriptive when writing about problems and I tend to type chapters rather than posts, lol. Thanks for bearing with me.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You can download Belarc Advisor It will tell you everything about your computer hardware and software including Keycodes. here is the link http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html it is free.It will not however tell you make and model power supply you have.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. As soon as my installation finishes and I'm fully updated with windows update, I'll install and run that program and post the details. I'll be sure to pop the side case off and put the power supply in with the details.

And those adapters would work perfect for my needs. Thanks for the link for that too.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you are welcome.

10. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

So windows is finished installing, after taking hours. I have not done windows update, this is a completely fresh install of windows 7 build 7600 OEM. I've gone through the activation process again, and everything was running smoothly. So then on to my first installation. I go to install my video card drivers, and BAM, as soon as I start it, it hangs, and anything I click on hangs and freezes. this starts at 44% into the unpacking process the installer does to C:\NVidia\etc etc folder right before starting the setup.exe. at the time it hangs at 44% unpacking, the "highest activity time" starts jumping from 100%, to 0%, to 100%, etc again just like before. This irradic activity is happening again. This is a different hard drive, a different power supply (450W with 20A on the 12V rail) different SATA cables. I'm lost as to what is causing this now. It's obviously not a hard disk problem, because this hard drive checked out 100% with western digital's hard disk checking utility as running perfect.

I don't know what to do from here. I still can't install my games or programs, although this seems to mostly happen on larger installs, like a game from a dvd, or a mounted backup of a dvd-sized ISO file (I keep backups stored for faster install times and just for general safety in case I lose my disks) I can't do anything when the irradic activity to the disk starts happening, and nothing works at all until that graphs stops showing the up/down/up/down blue line like previously screenshotted and posted in the original post.

**New interesting developement however. This is my second time writing out this post, because as I finished it, and installed the program you linked me to to give you my system specs, windows defender popped up saying it had found a trojan!

This is the first one I got during that time:

Category:
    Trojan Downloader
    Description:
    This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.
    Advice:
    Remove this software immediately.
    Resources:
    activesetupcomponent:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\ACTIVE SETUP\INSTALLED COMPONENTS\{MLR24262-3V6R-6DQK-MP0M-71N6VCMBO22A}
    containerfile:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\install\system.exe
    file:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\install\system.exe->(UPX)
    regkey:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\ACTIVE SETUP\INSTALLED COMPONENTS\{MLR24262-3V6R-6DQK-MP0M-71N6VCMBO22A}
    regkey:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\HKLM
    runkey:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\HKLM

So I cleaned it, it said successful, and I paniced and hit end task on system in the task manager. BAD idea, now I know better. The OS froze completely. Only thing that worked was the mouse cursor then that eventually froze up too.

On hard reboot, logged into windows, was about to open IEeplorer to come back to this page and retype everything, and I got this one:

Category:Trojan Downloader
    Description:
    This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.
    Advice:
    Remove this software immediately.
    Resources:
    containerfile:
    C:\Users\Razoroth\AppData\Roaming\install\system.exe
    file:
    C:\Users\Razoroth\AppData\Roaming\install\system.exe->(UPX)
    process:
    pid:1848
    process:
    pid:2696

Again, cleaned this, said successful, and it's gone (supposedily). What is going on? How could I have a trojan already? and if so, is this what is causing my system to iradiccly screw with the hard drive on large installs and file transfers? Ever heard of any of this? I'm so confused and lost with all this right now. I just want to get my OS back to normal and not have these problems and get back into my gaming and producing. Everything I do on a day to day basis revolves around my computer and right now this is bringing my progress in my work with my music, and killing my time trying to fix this.

Here are the specs from that program, and afterwards I'll run a HiJackThis report and post the results.

Operating System System ModelWindows 7 Ultimate (x64) (build 7600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States) Enclosure Type: DesktopProcessor a Main Circuit Board b3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded Board: ConRoe1333-D667
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.80 12/10/2007Drives Memory Modules c,d749.94 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    477.28 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616Q ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WD 5000AAV External USB Device [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCASU0354327
    WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCANK9794657, rev 10.02E02, SMART Status: Healthy 3200 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB Local Drive Volumes c: (NTFS on drive 0)249.95 GB235.12 GB freed: (FAT32 on drive 1)499.98 GB242.16 GB free Network Drives None detectedUsers (mouse over user name for details) Printerslocal user accountslast logon[​IMG] Razoroth2/16/2010 3:45:04 AM(admin)local system accounts[​IMG] Administrator7/14/2009 12:08:59 AM(admin)[​IMG] Guestnever[​IMG] HomeGroupUser$never
    [​IMG] Marks a disabled account; [​IMG] Marks a locked account Microsoft Shared Fax Driveron SHRFAX:Microsoft XPS Document Writeron XPSPort:Controllers DisplayStandard floppy disk controller
    ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
    ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0 NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) [Display adapter]
    Westinghouse W3223 [Monitor] (31.5"vis, s/n 1234567890, September 2007)Bus Adapters MultimediaIntel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC High Definition Audio DeviceVirus Protection [Back to Top] new Group PoliciesNo details available None discoveredCommunications Other DevicesLinksys Wireless-G USB Adapter v2 with SpeedBooster primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.0.11 / 24Gateway: 192.168.0.1Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1Physical Address: 00:16:B6:52:A9:C0Microsoft ISATAP AdapterRealtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)Auto IP Address: 169.254.90.35 / 32Dhcp Server: none responded Physical Address: 00:19:66:2E:A1:41Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NICIP Address: 192.168.1.110 / 24Physical Address: 00:E0:7D:C8:DF:D9Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Networking Dns Servers: 71.15.32.8
    71.15.32.9 HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant device
    USB Input Device (4x)
    HID Keyboard Device
    HID-compliant mouse
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub (5x)
    Generic volume shadow copy
    XBOX 360 Controller For Windows new Network Map (mouse over IP address for physical address) [Back to Top] IPDevice TypeDevice DetailsDevice Roles192.168.0.1 RouterNetgearDHCP Server, Gateway192.168.0.10 Windows 7 WorkstationKevin-pc (in WORKGROUP)Browse Master192.168.0.11 Windows 7 WorkstationRazoroth-pc (in WORKGROUP)Browse Master192.168.0.12 Windows XP WorkstationStephanie-prime (in MSHOME)Browse Master192.168.0.13 Windows Vista WorkstationJason-pc (in WORKGROUP)Print Server192.168.0.15 Physical Address 00:D0:41:A2:03:FD192.168.0.30 Network DeviceD-LinkWeb Server Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes [Back to Top] These required security hotfixes (using the 02/09/2010 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) were not found installed. Note: CIS benchmarks require that Critical and Important severity security hotfixes must be installed. Q971468- Important (details...) Q972270- Low (details...) Q974571- Important (details...) Q975467- Important (details...) Q975560- Critical (details...) Q978207- Critical (details...) Q978251- Critical (details...) Q978262- Important (details...) Software Licenses [Back to Top] Belarc - Advisor3d62e961 Microsoft - Internet Explorer00426-OEM-8992662-00006 (Key: FJGCP-4DFJD-GJY49-VJBQ7-HYRR2)eMicrosoft - PowerShell89383-100-0001260-04309 Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)00426-OEM-8992662-00006 (Key: FJGCP-4DFJD-GJY49-VJBQ7-HYRR2)e

OK So here's my HiJackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.3 (BETA)
    Scan saved at 5:05:42 AM, on 2/16/2010
    Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TrendMicro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ask.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
    --
    End of file - 4540 bytes

11. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

Akso here are some Resource monitor screens taken about 10 minutes after the installation hung and ended for HiJackThis. It's still doing it right now as I write this. Browser and windows keep periodically freezing up and then coming back to life:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This went away after about another 15-20 minutes of me trying to upload these pics to photobucket to post.

12. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

So this morning before going to bed, I gave up on the copy of windows 7 installed, and decided to try yet another disk, the one I used originally back before the problems started. I left it on and went to bed. To my dismay, when waking up, my computer would no longer get past the HDD info line after detecting the HDD and 2 DVD roms like so:

Detecting... SATA 1 Hard Disk
    Detecting... IDE ATAPI DVD-ROM
    Detecting... IDE ATAPI DVD-ROM
    SATA 1 WD2500JS(etc etc)

and that's where it hung, will not get any further. I put the original hard drive i had the problems with before bakc in, and it finally got past that point, but will not boot into windows like it did before i took it out. I don't know what is going on here, and it's really starting to bother me. I don't have a computer anymore and I can't figure this thing out. Is it a faulty processor? has it burned out now? bad motherboard? any suggestions?

*sigh* For now, I'm going to use an old Windows XP professional CD and try to install that to the first hard drive that will actually get past the bios startup screen. I really prefer Windows 7, but for testing purposes I will try to install XP. Will post what happens when it's done (if it even installs)

13. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

Ok i have windows xp professional 32-bit edition installed now. Everything runs fine so far. I can't update anything with windows update due to a very crappy wifi signal (My ISP is coming out thursday to turn my net back on so i won't be on wifi off the neighbor)

The only thing I seem to have a problem with on this XP installation is my sound. I got the 32-bit drivers for my on board sound card for xp, but even with them installed, i get tons of underruns and "glitches" when playing music or videos, etc. I'm thinking this may have something to do with the fact that i have installed a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system, but idk.

So with this said, I'm guessing it's maybe the installation disk I'm using to intall windows perhaps? I have the 32-bit edition of windows for my fiance's PC, that I just used to install windows 7 on my neighbor's laptop who had accumulated a bunch of viruses, and his install was, from start to finish and logged in, done in approx 25 minutes or so. So I'm not quite sure anymore...

Would appreciate some more info/advice if possible. I know people have lives, but I can't use any of my 64-bit apps and drivers on 32-bit xp and really want to get my system back to 100% on windows 7 64 bit.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Running 32 bit windows on a 64 Bit computer won't cause problems. Part of the Belarc log seems to be missing from ealier, and that is make an model of Motherboard. Can you read the Manufacturer and Model number off the board itself? The processor is identified as a Pentium D but with 2 Cores.

15. Razoroth

Razoroth Thread Starter

I guess you're right, I didn't realize the copy/paste i did on that log didn't paste everything.

I believe this is the info that's missing from the log file

Board: ConRoe1333-D667
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.80 12/10/2007

If that's not it I will take out my case and open it up and get the info.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice