Hard drive activity light never stops blinking!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tom Seeley

I have a Toshiba laptop, running Windows XP Home, with 1 GB ram, and about all I use it for is email while traveleing and PowerPoint presentations when I teach.

I have a Linksys wifi card which I don't use at home since I have no wifi network at home. But if I want to use the web at home, I wire up my Ethernet cord that comes from my Comcast cable modem through my Linksys Ethernet router.

At the moment, I have booted it up, but I have not put in the wifi card and I have not connected the modem. So the only wires into the rig are for 120 vac power and the mouse!

I've completed the normal startup and I'm looking at the customary Windows desktop screen. All icons are lit and steady. Everything on the quick launch bar and the task bar is normal. The cursor is the customary arrow and it's steady.

I've been in this configuration for nearly 30 minutes now, and the hard drive activity light on the front of the rig has not stopped blinking randomly the whole time!

What the **** is it doing?!

Have you checked in Task Manager under processes to see what might be running that may be causing this?

Tom Seeley

I thought of that but hadn't done so till now. At the moment, here's what I see:

45 processes; no applications. CPU usage reported on the bottom of the task mgr window fluctuating betweeon high 70s and 100%. In the Performance window, the CPU usage history "heart rate monitor" is wiggling around pretty consistently in the 70-100% range. In the Processes window, in the data column labeled CPU (which I assume is each process's individual contribution to the overall percentage reported at the bottom of the window?), not much at all is reporting much of anything, with one exception:

avgnsx.exe, user name SYSTEM, mem usage 1,444K, is reporting a fluctuating value in the high 60s range to 99%.

This puzzles me, since I tried to upgrade my AVG 8.5 Free last night to AVG 9.0, and I know the upgrade/install failed. So this morning I used Windows add/remove to remove AVG 8.5 and AVG 9.0 completely, and I have not reinstalled either of them yet! So how in the world does avgnsx.exe still be able to do anything at all?!

Thx for helping...

Open Task Manager and right click on avgnsx.exe and choose End Process....It obviously hasn't completely been removed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online