1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Activity?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HardDriveBatty, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HardDriveBatty

HardDriveBatty Thread Starter

Hello and thanks in advance for answering.

I am curious about something. My hard drive is being really active for about 30 minutes or so before going into power-save mode. Is this normal? I mean it's completely active the whole time. It's a bit worrying. Should there be 30 minutes of activity before it powers-down for the power save?

Thanks!

Computer:
    -Windows Vista Home Basic, Service Pack 1, 32-bit
    -RAM: Patriot 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz
    -Hard Drive: Seagate 750GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
    -Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
    -AMD Phenom X4 9550 4MB 95W Socket AM2+ CPU
    -XFX nForce 750a SLI Socket AM2+ Motherboard
    -XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI

2. Megabite

Megabite

Has it always done this?

3. HardDriveBatty

I never really noticed. It's just that lately I've been around it long enough and not using it to notice that it's doing this. I built the system about a month ago. All parts are brand new.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Do you some programs to check for updates......like Windows etc......when it does it again check to see whats running using Task Manager

5. HardDriveBatty

Yes, Windows does check for updates, but is it really doing it every time the computer is going to go into powersave mode? And the hard drive activity stops when I move the mouse (stops the power-down for power-save). By power-save mode, I am meaning the computer virtually shuts off. Nothing is moving and I have to hit the power button to make it come back on - but it comes back on instantly. It the hard-drive maybe indexing the information so the system can come back on automatically? I'm not sure about it all.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Check in the Control Panel under Power Options

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice