1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive adapter install question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by khatgyrl, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khatgyrl

khatgyrl Thread Starter

~sigh~ I just purchased a refurbished computer that was working just fine until I tried to install my laptop hard drive to the desktop IDE line. :eek:

Here is the scenario: the notebook hard drive has a 44-pin connector and I connected it, FOOLISHLY, to the 40-hole adapter that I then plugged into the desktop. When the system turned on, the screen said that there was a configuation change and then, error 1962 No operating system flashed up on the screen with the diagram showing that I needed to press F1. That did not work at all.

I turned it off and then on again, now it only shows the IBM main screen and beeps loudly.

From what I remember about the beeping, that is not a good sign. :-(

The computer will not recognize the floppy disks for Win98 that I loaded into the floppy drive in the sad attempt to boot from there. I think that I totally [email protected]$#!ed up my computer.

Please confirm. thanks!

Khatgyrl

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I regularly use 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapters to run laptop drives on my desktops. I even have a couple of drive drawers with the adapters in them to make the process easy. Unless you plugged the drive in backwards on the connector, they're 100% compatible.

Obviously, without being there, it's hard to know exactly what caused your issue. Have you figured out which components no longer work? Did both the desktop and laptop drive die? Did you restore the system to it's original state and see if it works?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I Suggest you unplug teh drive in question and then find the Clear CMOS jumper on the hard drive and clear the BIOS settings. Then boot up the computer, enter the BIOS and reconfigure it.

4. khatgyrl

khatgyrl Thread Starter

(y) Thanks for all of your help! :)

I checked out the computer just like you suggested and it is working just fine. :)

Not to mention, the guy I purchased the computer from says that he will make a copy of my hard drive for me. :) Now I don't have to do it. Yay! :D

Khatgyrl

5. khatgyrl

khatgyrl Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! :)

What caused my issue is that I needed someone with more technical know-how to make the copy of the hard drive, that's what! :D

I spazzed because I plugged something in wrong and the computer had to be rebooted using Win98. At first it wouldn't take, so I contacted the guy that I bought the computer from. He knew what I had done wrong. :-( I hadn't ensured that the connections on the back were in properly in my distress over the situation so the computer wasn't reading the logon right.

Anyway, he is going to make a copy of the laptop hard drive for me. :) That is all that I needed anyway.

Someday, when I am more proficient at these types of things (and I have another laptop) I'll try copying the files then. But for now...I'm going to leave that alone. :)

thanks for all of your help again!

khatgyrl

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice