Hard drive almost full after Reinstallation of operation system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MsSelena

I recently had my operating system reinstalled because of a missing dll file. Happened to notice that only twelve percent of my 160 gig hard drive is free. Before the reinstall I had about sixty percent free. I don't understand. I have only reinstalled office and couple other programs that were on there before.

Sounds like you didn't start with a clean drive. You probably have two sets of the operating system installed.

Go to start, computer, c: drive, look to see if you have a "windows.old" folder.

MsSelena

Actually I had it done at micro center... Looked for that folder and its not there. Any other ideas?

Have you asked them? Reinstalling an operating system due to one missing dll file is a tad bit of an overkill ;)

MsSelena

No I haven't had the opportunity. I just noticed this issue... I took the computer in becuase it wouldn't boot. I couln't even get it to boot from the disk myself. The error I got was the hal.dll was missing or corrupt and I tried very hard to find to find a solution to my problem and fix myself as I had in the past with other issues and I only took it to micro center after exhausting myself trying to figure it out with no luck whatsoever. Now I can't figure out for the life of me what is taking up all my gigs. All I know is I have 19 free of 160 and I can't imagine why. There is not nearly as much on it as it was in the past.

Look at the c: drive that I mentioned. Be sure that there isn't another partition, another letter there, perhaps D? Did they partition the drive? Look at the programs list. Barring that, I'd certainly give them a call and ask for an explanation ;) it's the easiest thing to do.

MsSelena

I already have looked at all of that and cant seem to find the culprit... will call them tomorrow. Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online