1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive almost full after Reinstallation of operation system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MsSelena, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MsSelena

MsSelena Thread Starter

I recently had my operating system reinstalled because of a missing dll file. Happened to notice that only twelve percent of my 160 gig hard drive is free. Before the reinstall I had about sixty percent free. I don't understand. I have only reinstalled office and couple other programs that were on there before.

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Sounds like you didn't start with a clean drive. You probably have two sets of the operating system installed.

Go to start, computer, c: drive, look to see if you have a "windows.old" folder.

3. MsSelena

MsSelena Thread Starter

Actually I had it done at micro center... Looked for that folder and its not there. Any other ideas?

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Have you asked them? Reinstalling an operating system due to one missing dll file is a tad bit of an overkill ;)

5. MsSelena

MsSelena Thread Starter

No I haven't had the opportunity. I just noticed this issue... I took the computer in becuase it wouldn't boot. I couln't even get it to boot from the disk myself. The error I got was the hal.dll was missing or corrupt and I tried very hard to find to find a solution to my problem and fix myself as I had in the past with other issues and I only took it to micro center after exhausting myself trying to figure it out with no luck whatsoever. Now I can't figure out for the life of me what is taking up all my gigs. All I know is I have 19 free of 160 and I can't imagine why. There is not nearly as much on it as it was in the past.

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

Look at the c: drive that I mentioned. Be sure that there isn't another partition, another letter there, perhaps D? Did they partition the drive? Look at the programs list. Barring that, I'd certainly give them a call and ask for an explanation ;) it's the easiest thing to do.

7. MsSelena

MsSelena Thread Starter

I already have looked at all of that and cant seem to find the culprit... will call them tomorrow. Thanks

8. Bernardo

Bernardo

Let us know their story :)

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice