1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive and cdrom have power but aren't working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meli56, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Meli56

Meli56 Thread Starter

I just installed a new motherboard, power supply, cpu, etc. I've done this many times before, and am quite perplexed at why my hard drive is not running. My cdrom has the light on, is getting power, but it's not blinking. Usually when this happens it's because I've gotten the IDE cable wacky, in the wrong direction, but I've checked these things over and over. My new cpu is working, as is its fan, and the power supply fan is also running. I've plugged in everything the way I always do, but am getting nowhere, but frustrated.

The reason I replaced these things was because I got this static when I turned on my computer, and it wouldn't boot. Originally, I unplugged the floppy and the static stopped and it worked for a couple of hours. So, logically, I thought of the power supply. Put that in, still got the static, so figured it was the connector on the motherboard. So, I ordered the new motherboard with the proper cpu/fan, and it all seems to be alive, except my hard drive isn't running, it does have heat/warmth from the power however. I'm trying to be specific enough for you to help me.

Thank you so much, in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Meli

2. norton850

norton850

How do you have your hard drive and CDROM set up.(on which cable(s))? Are they jumpered correctly? Do they show up when you first start up or listed in BIOS?

3. Meli56

Meli56 Thread Starter

Hard drive is on IDE 1 cdrom on 2, as always has been, jumpers are set to default specs according to manual. Since the hard drive isn't receiving power, I'm getting nothing on my monitor, totally blank, which I also find strange, and that's what happened before I replaced everything in the first place

4. norton850

norton850

You don't need power to your hard drive to get something on your monitor. In fact to trouble shoot I would disconnect all drives and start up only with your RAM, cpu/heat sink/fan and video card with monitor. The fact this is a new install also raises the possibility of something shorting so the next step after that is to use the same limited set up with the motherboard out of the case on the box that the board came in.

What CPU, motherboard and RAM are you using?

5. Meli56

Meli56 Thread Starter

my board has integrated vga. I'm going to try another monitor as well and see if there's a problem there. The light on my monitor is on, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily working properly. I'm not getting any static like I was before installing the new motherboard though. Thanks, I'll let you know, probably work on it some more in the morning.

6. Meli56

Meli56 Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that it's a Biostar motherboard, celeron D processor;5433mhz, with 768 of d ram...ddr/dimm slots. I think I've narrowed my problem down. When you mentioned wiring I started looking at the "little wires that connect the power on, hdd, etc...I may have gotten them ascew, however, I have never encountered that mishap before, first time for everything. I dug out the magnifying glass and the pin light, will work on it more today. I have a minor concern about the jumpers, diagrams aren't always what they're cracked up to be, overly simplistic sometimes. I do appreciate your continued help, and will keep you posted. Thanks again,
    Meli

7. Meli56

Meli56 Thread Starter

I've done everything you've suggested. I've also gone to the Biostar site to download better diagrams, etc. I have everything plugged in right, but now...the cdrom will work, the hard drive still won't but gets hot with power, and there is NOTHING on my screen which is really annoying. One strange thing that is happening is that the computer turns on automatically when I plug it in, that is the power supply, cpu, etc., but since I have nothing on my screen, I have to unplug it to turn it off. The keyboard light isn't on when plugged in either. The only thing that I can think of at this point, remembering you mentioning a "short" is that the original tower wires that plug all the HLED, PWR_LED, and on and off button are messed up.

Please tell me what you think as soon as possible. By the way the Biostar Motherboard I have is a U8668-D version7, the latest. I know I don't know everything, but I'm good at following specs and directions, and also have good instincts...however, right now I feel like a dunce.
    Meli

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice