1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive and mem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechBeginner, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechBeginner

TechBeginner Thread Starter

I do have an old computer. here are the specs:

CPU : Cyrix 6x86MX PR-300 M2 MXX
    Mobo: AT TX - PRO w/Vid and Aud. Zapa (I forgot the exact model coz i lost the manual)
    Ram: 32 mb sdram 168 pin 3.3 volts
    HDD: IDE 4gb

I'm trying to upgrade this computer. I installed a 64 mb pc100 mem. For us to install the memory, we need to take the HDD out. I tried it without the 32 mb. it worked. it booted to windows 95 . I tried adding the 32 mb, thinking that it's compatible (together with the 64 mb)... NO POST. so I took out one memory.. it POSTED but the ide devices now are not detected in BIOS. swapped cables and tried both motherboard IDE ports. took out the cmos battery. CDrom was detected. HDD was left undetected. I was thinking that HDD might be damaged by taking out from the tower... I'm also thinking that BIOS might also be broken because I tried adding the 32 mb memory to the mobo while the 64 mb was installed.

I'm not 100% sure about this... Can anyone help me determine the real cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, how would you know if you're memory is PC100 by just looking at it? I lost the manual of this motherboard and there's no sticker showing that that mem is PC100..

2. Flags

Flags

Tech: Are you saying that you put the 32 MB stick in while the PC was turned on? That's a no-no. If you put it in with the PC off it should be no problem.
    The 32MB stick you had in there is probably compatible with the 64 MB stick. If there is no information on the stickers on the memory sticks as to its size, you have no way of finding out, without doing a lot of Googeling.
    Anyway, the 2 sticks should work together if you have 2 slots that they fit in. I see that you tried both sticks and it wouldn't post, so there may be a limitation on the amount of ram this machine can handle. I don't know this for sure.
    Taking the HDD out should not have hurt it so long as you didn't drop it or bang it about. They must be handled with care.
    I'm sure you realize that this is a very old machine and won't be worth putting a lot of money into it.
    I made a quick Google on the Mobo and got info that it has only ISA slots and uses EDO Memory. There was no mention of SDRAM.
    Looks like you've got some work cut out for yourself.
    Good Luck.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm sorry, all I can say is WoW!! Really, that machine still runs. Welcome to the board.

To your problem. I'd agree with Flags that there may be a 64MB limit to the amount of RAM for the board. One thing a lot of folks do on there first time inside the box is to either forget to hook up the power molex connector to the drive or with that old a machine place the drive cable on wrong. There's a red (usually) striped side of the cable called a trace. It may be very faint. That has to be connected to the number 1 pin on the drive and the number 1 pin on the motherboard. Can you check that?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice