1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Backup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abcdjzmcbt, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abcdjzmcbt

abcdjzmcbt Thread Starter

hello. I am trying to backup my entire hard drive to DVD/RW disks. I downloaded Acronis True Image, but when i try to burn to cd it dosent recognize the blank disk and says its corrupted. But windows recognizes it. I bought some new DVD/RW but they didnt work either. My hard drive has 26GB of used space and Acronis estimated after compression to be 13GB=4 DVD-R/RW Does anyone know any other good software that will burn contents of a hard drive to disk? Preferably one that has compression like Acronis. THANKS

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What version of Acronis True Image? There are problems with burning to DVD with older versions, but I "think" they may have finally sorted that out.

3. mydogtoby

mydogtoby

You might try formatting the DVD's first. I have Acronis 9.0 and DVD's worked for me.

4. raybro

raybro

Hi JohnWill.. There are still problems with Acronis and burning images to DVD. I recently installed the latest build update (3677) on a friends Gateway P4 running XP SP2 and installed a new NEC DVD burner. The burner worked normally in all respects except with Acronis. Acronis would burn the image, but when attempting to run the verification, the file would not show up. Nor could I find it using Windows Explorer. I tried the same thing on my old Dell P2 desktop with both Acronis builds 2323 (version on CD) and 3677 build update using the same burner with the same results.

There are a number of posts on wildersecurity Acronis forum on this subject. Take a look here for one of the more comprehensive ones.

There is at least the hint there may be some relationship to the burner itself. Some users with certain models of Plextor burners do not appear to have a problem. :confused: That information is contained in thread in the link above. I don't know what to make of that. :rolleyes:

Raybro

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Has anyone tried the Workstation or Server versions? I see they've been updated since the Home version. I may have to download the Workstation one and give it a go. :) I'm downloading it now, might as well give it a look...

6. bbearren

bbearren

I use BootIt NG--works great with DVD's. I burn images to DVD+R. It will run from a floppy disk, uses good compression, and the images can be restored onto the hard drive using the same floppy. In addition, you can retrieve single files or folders from the image without doing a complete restore. Here is a link:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

It is also a boot manager and partitioning tool as well. You can install it, but you don't have to. It runs from the floppy just fine.

7. raybro

raybro

Hmmmm... That looks interesting. What version did you purchase and what OS have you used it with?

Raybro

8. bbearren

bbearren

I have 1.71, and I have used it with Win2K and XP. BootIt NG doesn't really care what the O/S is, as long as it can read the file system. It runs either from a floppy, or a dedicated partition. Of course, since it fits on a floppy, it only needs a very small partition. And, since it's also a partitioning tool, it can do that for you.

I have used it both ways. I currently run it from a floppy.

9. abcdjzmcbt

abcdjzmcbt Thread Starter

I downloaded it but im lost and dont know where to start. I have a laptop and it dosent come with a floppy disk.

10. raybro

raybro

You can create a bootable CD or DVD in place of a floppy that will do the same thing. I haven't done it, but that is what the users manual says. Look at the .pdf file in the download. Assumimg you downloaded the trial version .zip file, you have to unzip it first.

Raybro

11. raybro

raybro

I downloaded the trial version of v1.77, unzipped it and created the floppy. I have GoBack installed on my computer, so I loaded the GoBack drivers and booted into the bootit floppy. Loosely speaking, the interface is not unlike Ghost and Partition Commander combining some of the features of both. I created an image of my C:\ drive on a partition on my slave drive created specifically for the purpose of storing backup images for Acronis True Image. The process was quite simple and fairly fast. Bootit also does a validation of the file after creation, if you select to do so at the beginning of the process. Compression is pretty good too. My C:\ drive used space is about 1.5GB and the image file is 958MB. I calculate that to be a ratio of about 1.5:1.

Things I have yet to do is startup my external JAZ drive and see how that plays then install a DVD burner to see how that does. I also plan to get a spare HDD (my old spare died recently) so I can go through a realtime restore sequence for the C:\ drive.

So far it looks pretty good.

BTW... I'm also just running from the floppy, not an installed program.

Raybro

12. bbearren

bbearren

Installing BootIt NG to its own partition lets it operate as a boot manager if you have multiple O/S's installed. On boot, you are given a boot menu that allows you to choose which O/S to load. I don't really need a boot manager, so I simply run it from a floppy.

I burn images directly to DVD+R from the BootIt NG interface, with validation. The restore operation works about as quickly and as the imaging operation.

13. raybro

raybro

Lost power here for the last couple of hours, so I've been down for a while. Sure glad I have a UPS on my system...

Before I lost power I was able to go through the process of creating a bootable CD using the MakeDisk utility (part of the download). Works just fine. I had to disable GoBack in order to use it, but that's no surprise. Funny thing... I can boot into the BootIt interface using the floppy by loading the GoBack drivers, but not so with the CD :confused: .. Oh Well :p

Now that power is back on, I'll try out the external JAZ drive.

Raybro

14. raybro

raybro

Yep... The JAZ drive shows up as 3rd hard drive in the "Work with Partitions" menu. The drive is external connected via an Adaptec SCSI interface PCI card.

I'm liking this BootIt NG (New Generation) program more by the minute. Can't wait to install my DVD drive and see how that works. In addition to a DVD drive, I've ordered a new HDD which should be here in a couple of days. That will give me the ability to test out the full imaging and restore capabilities of this program without risk to my current configuration. I'll post back next week on results.

BTW... Just noticed I have not given any of my system specs. So for those interested... I'm running Win98SE on an old Dell P2 400MHz desktop. Two HDD's, Sony CD burner and Toshiba CD Player with maximum PC-100 SDRAM (384MB).

Raybro

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice