Hard Drive Beeps, and fails...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

taylorego

I have a slave drive in my computer that is an 80GB IBM drive.
Yesterday it started beeping off and on.
then programs started freezing... computer slowed down...
Today my computer wouldn't boot at all...
until I disconnected the slave drive.
now it's running fine.
is there anything I can do to salvage this other drive?
or is it gone forever?

taylorego

dont know...
It came with a system I got off of eBay a couple of years ago, so I assume no warranty...

You said, "Yesterday it started beeping off and on."

HD's don't beep....PC's do....and generally the beeps occur at startup and convey a trouble code.

Is this what occurred?

What was the pattern of the beeping? (Long short pattern)

taylorego

that seems possible...
but it started beeping randomly while the computer was on.
and it sounded like it was coming from the hard drive.

There is a system speaker in the case that hooks up to motherboard that will give you a pattern of beeps. These beeps translate into error codes to tell you what is wrong in your PC without a monitor to visually show the information. The hard drive itself does not beep.

Who is the maker of your BIOS? And what is the pattern of beeps you are hearing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online