1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mopargary19355, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mopargary19355

mopargary19355 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32725 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (1651 GB Free); E: 1863 GB (1841 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (1821 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 990FXA-UD3
    Antivirus: 360 Total Security, Enabled and Updated
    Just installed 2tb hard drive on top of the 3 I already have installed. First time I ever installed one. Looked at couple things on u-tube and figured I could do it. Installed drive in puter , went on back side found 2 wires with proper connectors, plugged them in
    and figured done. Upon checking Start, computer, it is only showing my original 3 hard drives.
    What did I miss??

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Re-boot the computer and press the designated key to get into BIOS. Should be DEL or F2, the screen will tell you. Then go to the first tab and all the drives should be listed, do you see your new drive?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    All revision models of your Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard have 6 SATA connectors.

Did you go into the BIOS setup screen and enable the appropriate SATA port that your 4th hard drive is connected to?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. mopargary19355

Hi Frank, thanks, but I don't know way around BIOS. Only been there twice.If I can find them, can't I enable all SATA ports as I have no idea which port connected to.
    Installed drive in cage, went to back of puter , found 2 wires with proper connectors and plugged them in.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The other end of the smaller cable has to be connected to a Sata port on the motherboard.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the image of that motherboard, all 6 SATA ports are in the same location and not spread out in different locations.

And each one has its own number:
    SATA_0
    SATA_1
    SATA_2
    SATA_3
    SATA_4
    SATA_5

Depending on which ones your 4 hard drives are connected to, make sure they're enabled in the BIOS setup screen.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. mopargary19355

Thx for response. Here is latest. My computer shows 3 HD , all Hitachi. I ordered 2tb Hitachi drive. Packing list, invoice show shipped Hitachi. When I go into Device Manager , shows 3 Hitachi and 1 Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 which is 2tb drive. When I go into Bios I found Boot Overide, it list Seagate drive at top, followed by 3 Hitachi drives below. Man I'm totally confused.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In the Bios set each drive in turn as first boot device until it boots into Windows.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice