1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive broken

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhilzzGood, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhilzzGood

PhilzzGood Thread Starter

Master harddrive is broken. So I took my other hard drive and configured the pins the same as the master and ran the cable to the mother board were the master was hook up. The computer won't boot up. I get a post beep, but nothing else. I get an error message of "master drive not detected". In cmos I have configured it to autodetect the drive.

Please help,
    Phil

2. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi,

When you said "configured the pins the same as the master", you mean the jumpers?

Are these HDD same model? If not, jumper setting varies by model and you have to set it as "primary master" or "Single".

TJ

3. padutch

padutch

When using a HD without a slave it is no longer a master. Go to the site for that HD and check for
    jumper settings
    DUTCH

4. PhilzzGood

I've tried hooking the hard drive everyway possible I think. In
    c mos auto detect, tried different configurations. PaDutch what should I set the jumpers too if not Primary(slave, cable select?) How do I configure in C MOS?

Thanks for the help!

Phil

5. angel

angel

What brand/model drive?

6. PhilzzGood

It's a Maxtor 34098H4

7. angel

angel

Found your jumper settings on Maxtor's site. Go <a href="http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/DiamondMaxVL/QuickSpecs/42079.htm">here</a> and look about half way down. You have three choices - Master, Slave, or CS. Set your jumpers for Master.

8. PhilzzGood

I've tried it set with master jumper configuration and it doesn't work. Any other ideas.

9. angel

angel

Have you double checked the cable to make sure it's plugged in the right way on both ends?
    Also (and I have to check), you did plug in the power cable to the drive, correct?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice