Hard drive broken

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PhilzzGood

Master harddrive is broken. So I took my other hard drive and configured the pins the same as the master and ran the cable to the mother board were the master was hook up. The computer won't boot up. I get a post beep, but nothing else. I get an error message of "master drive not detected". In cmos I have configured it to autodetect the drive.

Please help,
Phil

Hi,

When you said "configured the pins the same as the master", you mean the jumpers?

Are these HDD same model? If not, jumper setting varies by model and you have to set it as "primary master" or "Single".

TJ

When using a HD without a slave it is no longer a master. Go to the site for that HD and check for
jumper settings
DUTCH

PhilzzGood

I've tried hooking the hard drive everyway possible I think. In
c mos auto detect, tried different configurations. PaDutch what should I set the jumpers too if not Primary(slave, cable select?) How do I configure in C MOS?

Thanks for the help!

Phil

Found your jumper settings on Maxtor's site. Go <a href="http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/DiamondMaxVL/QuickSpecs/42079.htm">here</a> and look about half way down. You have three choices - Master, Slave, or CS. Set your jumpers for Master.

PhilzzGood

I've tried it set with master jumper configuration and it doesn't work. Any other ideas.

Have you double checked the cable to make sure it's plugged in the right way on both ends?
Also (and I have to check), you did plug in the power cable to the drive, correct?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online