1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive cannot be found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ggireland, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggireland

ggireland Thread Starter

I have two hard drives on my computer - C: and F:. Upon trying to access the F: drive an error message appeared telling me that the drive "cannot be found". The icon on the desktop has been changed too - it now has a red question mark over it. The F: drive was there yesterday and as far as I can remember I didn't remove it so can anyone help me with this one. I'm running Windows XP.

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

What's showing up as D:?

3. ggireland

ggireland Thread Starter

D: is my CD writer and E: is my CD-ROM

4. buckaroo

buckaroo

Man, now I'm really confused. :confused: I thought the standard letter assignments in windows was that HD's, including partitions, get the letters before other drives like cdroms, zip drives, etc.

Is this an XP protcol that you can have a HD assigned F:, coming after two cd drives????

5. Hairy

Hairy

has "F" ever worked?

6. brbpab94

brbpab94

I think the second HD is used just for storage.
    Check your jumpers on the back tosee if there in the right places Master, Slave, CTRLd and make sure the conections are good.and you might want to make another short cut to your desk top.

7. ggireland

ggireland Thread Starter

The F: drive has worked perfectly well up until this problem occurred. I know that the fact that is named F: rather than D: is a bit strange but I won't be able to help much regarding the setup of the machine other than to say that originally I had just the one hard drive, C:, along with D:, the CD writer and E:, the CDROM. When I bought a new hard drive the shop said that they would install it so any decisions regarding naming drives were taken by them. I regularly use the F: drive and have a lot of things stored on it that I need access to so it would be great if I could get this problem sorted out fairly soon.

8. Rache

Rache Banned

Is there any chance you can hook 'f' up to another pc to see if it's seen there? How old is it? There are diagnostic ways to check its integrity. I had a similar prob. My post and answers may help:

http://forums.techguy.org/t106395/s.html

9. buckaroo

buckaroo

Have you opened the case to make sure your power and ide cables are securely connected to the HD?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Drive letter assignments in nt based os are like that. The os will assign the next available letter; it will not change the letter of an existing drive.
    Is the drive in question being recognized in the bios? If it is not being recognized in the bios, make sure the channel that the drive is on in enabled and set to auto. Are you using a controller card or is the drive hooked up to an ide port?
    As previously posted check the cable and power plug and make sure they are secure. Reseat both the cable and the power plug.

11. buckaroo

buckaroo

Thanks crj....didn't know that!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice