Hard Drive cannot be found

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ggireland

I have two hard drives on my computer - C: and F:. Upon trying to access the F: drive an error message appeared telling me that the drive "cannot be found". The icon on the desktop has been changed too - it now has a red question mark over it. The F: drive was there yesterday and as far as I can remember I didn't remove it so can anyone help me with this one. I'm running Windows XP.

Man, now I'm really confused. :confused: I thought the standard letter assignments in windows was that HD's, including partitions, get the letters before other drives like cdroms, zip drives, etc.

Is this an XP protcol that you can have a HD assigned F:, coming after two cd drives????

I think the second HD is used just for storage.
Check your jumpers on the back tosee if there in the right places Master, Slave, CTRLd and make sure the conections are good.and you might want to make another short cut to your desk top.

ggireland

The F: drive has worked perfectly well up until this problem occurred. I know that the fact that is named F: rather than D: is a bit strange but I won't be able to help much regarding the setup of the machine other than to say that originally I had just the one hard drive, C:, along with D:, the CD writer and E:, the CDROM. When I bought a new hard drive the shop said that they would install it so any decisions regarding naming drives were taken by them. I regularly use the F: drive and have a lot of things stored on it that I need access to so it would be great if I could get this problem sorted out fairly soon.

Have you opened the case to make sure your power and ide cables are securely connected to the HD?

crjdriver

Drive letter assignments in nt based os are like that. The os will assign the next available letter; it will not change the letter of an existing drive.
Is the drive in question being recognized in the bios? If it is not being recognized in the bios, make sure the channel that the drive is on in enabled and set to auto. Are you using a controller card or is the drive hooked up to an ide port?
As previously posted check the cable and power plug and make sure they are secure. Reseat both the cable and the power plug.

Drive letter assignments in nt based os are like that. The os will assign the next available letter; it will not change the letter of an existing drive.

Thanks crj....didn't know that!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online