1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive causes reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big-K, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big-K

Big-K Thread Starter

Bought a new hard drive recently, refurbished admittedly. It's an MDT 160 gig EIDE drive, 7200rpm, 2 mb buffer. The problem isn't that the drive doesn't work, it works fine and i've been able to partition, put data on it, etc. The problem is that whenever I have it plugged in the computer cannot run for more than 10-30 minutes without rebooting itself at random. If unplugged and only the system drive (a 40 gig BSE) is in, everything is fine. I tried running with the system drive unplugged and only the MDT in, the only other devices being the floppy and a dvd-rom/cd burner via 'Damn Small Linux'. It ran for about 20 minutes before rebooting on me. At first I thought it was the temperature causing the problem, because once I had installed it there were some cooling issues introduced, but that was fixed and did not help. My next suspicion is the power supply, a 3 year old 300 watt. I don't see why this would be the case though, the only differences in the two hd's are the size and rpm (the system is a 5400 rpm drive).

Any suggestions/thoughts/comments on the situation? I'll likely need to get a new PSU anyway, since i'll be upgrading the video card and adding more memory soon enough.

-K

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A 300 W PSU is genreally a fairly low capacity these days. And the new (Refurbished) drive may just be drawing too much for too long on that power supply. If you have a different computer that you can test the drive on for a while you might give that a go. Remember sometimes refurbished means that someone returned the drive and no reason was specified, so the company made sure it appeared clean and resold it.

3. Big-K

Big-K Thread Starter

After a couple tests i've decided that the power supply itself is indeed dying, since last night and tonight both the computer rebooted itself without the new hd plugged in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice