1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Click of Death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thefakenet, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thefakenet

thefakenet Thread Starter

I recently had a hard drive begin to develop a click of death effect. The drive would be doing something media intensive, like oh...say....playing world of warcraft....well....I was playing wow, the hard drive was just storing and reading it for me, but still, the drive would siddenly click a slight louder then normal, and the entire computer would freeze, for anywhere from 10 seconds, to 10 minutes, then continue like there was no problem.

Just before the drive crapped out, I removed it, installed a brand new drive, on a brand new ribbon cable, plugged into a different power connector in PC (as a few posts floating around on the net claim it can be a dodgy power connection), and installed a new copy of winblows, and world of warcraft, what would you know, It starts doing the exact same thing.

The drive is NOT overheating, it's a new drive, it cannot be a driver issue asI have installed the freshest drivers on the new install. It cannot be the ribbon cable, as I am now using the one that came with the new drive.

The only thing I can think of that I have yet to try is using a n external controller card like a promise card to rule out the motherboard IDE controller, but assuming that this turns out to not be the problem, can anyone recoomend anything? Here's my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1095 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1013, 9/2/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.10 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.35 GB
    DVD Rom: LG DVD-ROM GSA-H22L
    Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
    Video Card: MSI MS-StarForce GeForce FX 5700LE (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 7200rpm, 250GB, 8MB Cache (WDC WD2500JB-00REA0)

2. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

How much free space was on the HD and when did you defrag the drive. Did you run scandisk?

3. valis

valis Moderator

back up the data you want to keep asap. Then get a new hd. The click of death is not something to be trifled with. Simply google it.

4. thefakenet

The Drive is 94% free. Defrag has been run about half an hour ago. and yes I have run scandisk on both the new and the old drive with minimal help.

Please read the entire message, I did buy a new HD, and it happened again, WITHIN HOURS OF BUYING THE NEW DRIVE! I also already googled it and no one has any solutions other then buy a new drive and it will be fine, well none of those help me with the same thing over again.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd heed the advice to get any data you value off the drive ASAP!

If it's a new drive, download the disk manufacturer's diagnostic, chances are the SMART internal diagnostic of the drive has stored the error that occurred and you can get a warranty replacement.

6. thefakenet

This is the second drive in 24 hours to do the same. there is nothing on the new drive to backup that I can't re-install in an hour or so. the drive operates without error when simply idleing in windows, defragging, scandisking, and passes all. S.M.A.R.T. displays that the drive has encountered no error.

7. thefakenet

Ok so "Back up data and replace HD" did not solve problem, New HD reacts exactly the same. Any thoughts?

8. thefakenet

For the first time this just happened while I was sitting in windows. I tried a Promise board instead of the mobo controller, the promise board seems to be a bit old as it will not recognize any drive over 137mb. Does anyone have any ideas? This is not a physical click of death as it happens to more then one seperate drive that have never been plugged in together.

9. thefakenet

I have a HD that responds as if it has the click of death, however although it will suddenly mid-game/application click (once) loudly and freeze the system, it does not result in any corruption, SMART reports that no error has even occurred, and sometimes the system will resume normal operation within a moment as if nothing happened.

KEEP READING:

I took the obvious course of action, which I'm sure anyone reading this has come to the conclusion of, back up data and replace the hard drive. I did... I bought a new HD, installed it, and now it's doing the same thing, the new drive hasn't been in the system for more then 3 hours and it'd doing the same thing.

RULEOUTS:

I've ruled out the controller cable (ata-100), I've ruled out the power connector, I've ruled out the HDD itself (by replacing it with the new one only to do the same), I've ruled out virus/driver issues as this new HD has been installed with a fresh format, and windows, and I've downloaded latest drivers for everything.

ATTEMPTS:

I attempted to use a promise IDE controller board but it's bios doesn't support drives larger then 137GB so it turned out to be useless. I've attempted moving it to other power connectors.

CALL FOR HELP:

I'm asking if anyone has any further suggestions! Please :)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1095 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1013, 9/2/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.10 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.35 GB
    DVD Rom: LG DVD-ROM GSA-H22L
    Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
    Video Card: MSI MS-StarForce GeForce FX 5700LE (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 7200rpm, 250GB, 8MB Cache (WDC WD2500JB-00REA0)

10. norton850

norton850

You mention the HD controller in your title. Did you try the drive on a different IDE connector on the MB?

11. thefakenet

It seems to make no difference. and to make matters worse, It just did this for times in succession and now the computer fails to boot, it just keeps going to the windows did not start successfully, I select any option I want, and it gets halfway thru boot, and restarts.

12. thefakenet

13. thefakenet

bump.

No clues? two seperate hard drives, both click of death within hours of each other, never installed at same time, one was just bought to replace the other. so the old "replace the hard drive" solution is out the window, is that the only answer? Do I buy and corrupt a third and 4th drive?

14. norton850

norton850

Nope no other ideas except another bad drive. They're not perfect but you could try running the WD drive diagnostic program on it and see what you get.

15. thefakenet

The WD Drive diagnostic showed both the old and the new drive as being perfect.

I tried throwing a 40gb drive in from another PC, and it just did the same thing...this time it's a maxtor. Third drive down. Anything else?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice