Hard drive clone freeware?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jeffncris

Just the last couple of days, when I boot my computer it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner and then stops. If I turn it off and reboot it works after a few times. Is this a sign of impending death of the hard drive? Anyway, I would like to clone my hard drive with XP to a larger drive and keep my OS and programs the way they are now. Could you guys recommend a program or programs to do this?

Thanks in advance,
jeffncris

I would run a repair install from the Windows XP CD. That is if you have one. Here’s a Cut & Past from Microsoft’s site. I'm too lazy to type it out.

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

As for imaging your system I would use .Acronis True Image

Or If your cheap like me :rolleyes: You can download freeware like Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

jeffncris

Thanks for the info guys, I will try the repair and see how that goes. I have heard good things about Macrium so I will download that as well. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

jeffncris

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Take a look at "DriveImage" and "XXClone," too. Use Google, etc. for downloads.

{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online