1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive cloning issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheTlck, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTlck

TheTlck Thread Starter

Greetings:

Got a new 320 GB internal ATA Maxtor HD. I used Maxblast 4 to clone my orignal boot drive to it, so that I could replace the original with the new drive. The new drive, however would not boot. Tried downloading Maxblast 5 and using that, but got an error stating that there was no maxtor drive found, causing the program to shut down. Tried changing jumper settings to Master and Cable select, but neither worked. Tried other ribbon positions, tried using on the IDE secondary ribbon, but it didn’t work.

Set up as a secondary drive, I could see that all files SEEMED to have been copied over and were accessible, but, it just won’t boot. Tried writing Maxtor by email, but no reply in two days.

This has become a much bigger issue now because of an accident I had with the original drive. I accidentally bumped the printed circuit board on back with part of the new drive and have apparently shorted it out. There was a small puff of smoke, and now the bios doesn’t see it any more.

So, I would REALLY like to get the new drive working without having to start from scratch. Tried using an original Win XP Home disk (my OS) to boot with the CD, so that I could go to the recovery console to execute a fixmbr command. But, that cd, and other bootable cds, won’t boot with that hard drive attached. I get the message that it’s going to check hardware settings, but then screen goes blank and then....nothing. When the HD is not attached, the CDs will boot with no problem and without the “checking hardware config” message.

So, I tried hooking the drive up to another XP machine, and no problem. The disk, as before could be easily read and files accessed. So I then disconnected this new machine’s existing HD and hooked up my new one. I then booted from the WIN XP disk, went to recovery console, and at the c: prompt typed “fixmbr”. I simply got another c: prompt with no noticeable reaction. I then retested it on the original machine, but it was as before... no change.

I then wondered whether I’d hurt the motherboard. But, I was able to see my previous secondary drive when booting using a bootable cd with my new drive disconnected. All files on my old drive were viewable. So, from that I concluded that the ribbon and IDE 0 slot on my motherboard were ok. The only time I can’t boot with CD is when the new drive is connected, no matter which ribbon or part I’d connected to. But it continues to work on the other machine and seems to be working properly otherwise.

Called Maxtor (apparently headquartered in India now!) but could only suggest reformating the drive and reinstalling the OS, which of course I’d like to avoid. I asked them what they would have normally suggested when a disk didn’t clone properly but was told that the person I’d talked to had NEVER gotten a call where there was a problem with the software. I found that hard to believe and asked to speak to someone else, but was told that all tier 2 support people were gone for the day and to try to call back again. Not much confidence left in their tech support system.

Can anyone suggest away to make this rascal bootable?? It would save a lot of heartache and pain.

Thanks

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

IMHO the absolutely best software to do exactly what you want is Partition Magic.

I've use it and it was a life-saver.

Here's my story:
    I had a very old (like 1999) 20gb hard drive partitioned as C: & D: (10gb each), and it was giving indications of I-am-old-and-going-to-die.

So I bought a brand new 80gb HD (smallest on the shelf these days).

I already had Partition Magic installed on my old C: and new it had a copy drive/partition option. I first ran a virus scan on both C: & D: and optimized them.

I connected my 80gb HD as a Secondary Slave and booted WinXP and ran Partition Magic.

Using the copy drive/partition option, I had PM copy C: & resize it to 20gb, then rebooted (required to do the operation). PM did its thing. Next I copied D: & resized to the remaining 60gb and rebooted again. PM did its thing. After reaching the desktop this final time, I check my new drive and it had the partitions I specified and all the files. Did you note that the copy+resize was one operation?

I shutdown, and replace my old 20gb HD with the new 80gb (set as Master of course) and my system booted to the desktop without a hitch, like I had never changed the HD. Everything work as before!

3. TheTlck

TheTlck Thread Starter

Thanks Tecknomage,

I will remember that next time. However, my problem at the moment is that my original C: drive has already died shortly after the failed clone attempt, and all I have left is the new drive with what looks like all the right files, etc. on it. It just won't boot.

So, I can't go back and retry the process with Partition Magic anymore. My only shot is to get the new one to boot. Otherwise, I must get yet another drive to start fresh with, reload OS, and years of programs reinstalled, etc., using what I have now as a data backup until then.

If you have any other ideas, let me know.

Thanks for the reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice