1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Cloning..Will XP transfer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Methlab, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

I am getting a new pentium 4 with 120 gigs of space...I want to clone my C: drive from my old Dell....so I was wondering when I do that, will Win XP transfer over too? Or will I need to get a new copy of it? It says that it makes a complete copy of your hard drive. If that is the case, then I would love to just be able to clone the Hard drives through an ethernet cable and move on to the new computer. Is this a possibility?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It can be cloned over by a number of methods. The question is whether it will boot with the new hardware. You can try it. It works very often, but if you can't boot, all you need to do is a repair installation of XP from your XP CD and the new hardware will be installed.

The easiest method for cloning is to put both drives in the same machine. The drive manufacturers supply very good software for cloning or you can use this:

http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm
    or
    http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#free

3. Dan O

Dan O

XP is tied to the hardware so cloning will most likely will not work. There are many reason why, such as the drivers requires for each PC will be different.

4. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

Dan O..great point..I should have known that...that leads me to my next questions..getting the C drive out of the Dell may be a pain..but i will try..if i can't, is the ethernet idea a bad idea for cloning? also when i clone, will it transfer over my old win XP OS? or just the files? I am confused on that one..is there any partitioning involved? I have a 120 gig HD coming..I have about 8 gigs filled up on this current one..so will it just clone and then I will have 112 gigs free?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The chances are about 80% in your favor that the PC will boot with your current configuration and about 20% that you will need to do a repair of the OS on the new system.

The ethernet idea has merit, but I don't know how you would accom[lish it. You'd need some software on both machines (preferably booted from a floppy) that could access the ethernet card and do the transfer. But I will look for something. Certainly commercial products like DriveImage or Ghost would be most likely to accomplish this, and easier over USB.

6. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

Thank you..I will pull out the Hard drive and do it that way..should be be better..what I mean is...I am going to buy a new version of XP..when i put it on the new HD I will then put in my old one and clone it..will my old one copy its (the older) version of XP over my new one? I just want all my files and have computer running like before with my new XP OS>..is this possible? is cloning the way to fo? Should i just drag and drop all my folders from the old HD into my new one instead?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You have quite a few choices.

If you want everything to be identical, you'll need to clone your present disk over, do a repair installation, and insert your new CD-key when you do it so that you can activate the clone on the new machine.

You could just install the new OS and then drag and drop files. But your programs will not work on the new machine until they are all reinstalled.

If you install another OS and then do the clone, the clone will overwrite the new OS, so there is no point in installing it first.

You could run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on both machines and transfer most of your stuff that way (Start > Programs > Accessories).

Or, you could buy a commercial app and transfer a clone over USB or some other port by booting from floppies on both machines (Ghost, for example). But you will still need to change the key in order to activate it.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to ensure that the drive will boot, there are some things to do first. During this process DO NOT reboot; tell it later.

1 Uninstall any software that is dependent on the old system. Such as onboard sound, onboard nic, monitoring software, etc.

2 Most important if you want to insure the drive boots in the new computer; change to a standard ide controller / driver. This is done manually in device manager.

3 While in device manager, remove all devices that are dependent on the old system. Such as floppy controller, usb controller, etc. If you miss a few no big deal here.

4 Disable [not uninstall] any AV software.

5 Now shutdown and do the swap. It will boot and detect all of the new hardware on the new system. You will need to supply any drivers xp does not have. In addition you will need to reactivate XP.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I have done this procedure many times. Even swapping from a SiS chipset to an Intel chipset. It does not get much different than that. This procedure has always worked and not required a repair install.

If possible, I would opt for a clean install of the os. You will have a more stable system doing so. The above procedure is only for when a clean install is not possible or desirable. [Like when I am too lazy] or your wife does not want anything changed.

10. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

damn..gets pretty complex.well, my XP on my old computer will not be able to work any more because my neighbor gave it to me and the codes are lost..so i am buying a new copy of XP. Was wondering if I could drag and drop my program files folders onto my new Hard drive and put the software on..I just need my music production software and I really would like to transfer over ITunes. Is this possible or wil I have to reinstall it? If you have an Ipod you will know how much of a pain this can be.

11. Dan O

Dan O

Maybe but not likely the programs will work, but the ITunes should be okay. The reason why the programs will not work is many program entries are usually written to the Windows' Registry, and is not recommend that you copy the Registry from on PC to another. As a test I would disconnect the new hard drive and move the old hard into the new PC and try to boot with it.

I wish I had better news.

12. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

ok..well i will give it a shot

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

This is an unusual way to do it, but you could put the old drive in the new computer as master. Use your new XP CD to do a repair installation of it. That way, the OS on the old disk will be customized to your new system. Then, clone the old drive to the new one, and boot from it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice