1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive cloning

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cosmic, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

I need to clone a hard drive to make an operating double of it.

The system is Win2000 set up with drawers / trays for the hard drives so I can move things around pretty easy.

I want to clone the existing Win2000 Drive C which is an 80G drive, 2.93G of it is used (NTFS) to another spare hard drive as an exact duplicate, other drive is 40G (NTFS) with nothing on it.

The reason for doing this is so, I can make one of the drives for only using on certain tasks where I am paranoid about security. Like banking, things to do with money. It will get maximum attention, checking to always be completely free of any trojans, nasty stuff, only used for things involving where money is being transferred. This drive will only be used on a few sites. The other drive will be used for general surfing. They both will use the same computer / hardware, the tray will be swapped out to change the Drive C as required.

I was looking to use Clone Maxx to do this. I downloaded both the .ISO version and the installation version. Exactly what is the difference? I understand how to make a bootable CD with the .ISO version. Is that the way to go?

Can it put the existing drive system on the new drive which is smaller, the new drive is smaller than the original. Do I have to partition or whatever to make the original drive size equal or less? Am a rookie to all of this. Don't want to mess it up.

Exactly what steps do I have to follow?

I can easily get both hard drives in the same computer. If I understand it right, I then boot up with the Clone Maxx and do the transfer. This stuff scares me a bit. If I really mess up, suppose can reload the original hard drive. Would like to avoid all that work by just cloning the drive I now have. I've heard it is a pretty simple operation.

Appreciate any advice here.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2

I have had really good success with xxClone.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Ok, I downloaded xxClone. Will look into it. Seems simple enough. Least I should not have any problems with the drives being different sizes.

I shall study it a bit more. Might do what I want.

Do you use it for back up too??? Which version do you have????

Looks attractive for doing backups if you don't use the freebie version.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2

Not exactly for backups in the usual sense. When my main drive is doing good and is clean, I'll clone it to second drive. A couple of weeks later, if still clean, I will delete the second drive, reformat, and do another clone.
    If main drive does become infected, I switch drives and the old main gets the reformat treatment and becomes the clone, waiting for its turn up front again.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Sort of a type operation I had in mind for a type of back up regime for the older machines.

Are you doing it with the Freebie version????

What OS are you using? Do you have any problems switching drives around? I was wondering more about WinXP kicking up a fuss in being loaded on different hardware / machine, or do you use identical hard drives always swapped into the same machine.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2

Yes.Seems to do all that I need it to do.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm afraid we will need to close this. The license for the standard Win2000 installatin is only legal for a single installation and we can not, of course, support piracy in any form, even as innocent as this seems to be.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice