1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Cloning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey there everyone,

I have recently upgraded my computer from an old 462 motherboard and athlon xp 3200 to a Foxconn M6VMX and an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600. Unfortunatly my old 120GB IDE hard drive can't keep up. I have ordered a 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black and I am awaiting it's arival. I am wondering how would I go about cloning my origional hard drive and is it possible to get a good free program to do it?

Thanks, Jack-O-Bytes

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. jack-o-bytes

Thanks mate. Couple more questions for you.

Will it clone the registry and also the partitions exatly the same?
    Can I extend partitions so that I have extra space per partition?

Thanks again, Jack-O-Bytes

4. storage_man

storage_man

The registry + every thing else will stay intact. I don't know about the other cloning softwares, but Acronis True Image will allow to increase the size of the partitions while cloning.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If this drive is your system drive ie windows is installed, you need to go through a detailed procedure to swap boards.

FWIW a clean install with a new board is always the best however you can do a board swap without a clean install as long as it is done correctly.

6. jack-o-bytes

I have changed the motherboard CPU and RAM without doing a fresh install on this computer so it should be ok.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Acronis is the best there is for imaging/cloning, etc. I am not sure if the WD proprietary version allows you to resize partitions however the standard home/workstation version does allow this.

In any case acronis TI is well worth the $36 newegg is charging for the latest version. If you watch newegg they often have older versions for sale for as little as $15 [downloaded ver] When I checked, no old versions were for sale.

8. jack-o-bytes

OK thank you. I have got the Western Digital tool as the hard drive I am buying is western digital. Thanks again. :)

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. jack-o-bytes

Is the westerndigital one good enough? What other stuff does the paragon one offer?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The WD one is apparently not fully Windows 7 compatible. The Paragon one works with all brands of drives and offers more functionality, similar to the paid version of Acronis.

I haven't used either one as I have Acronis True Image.

12. jack-o-bytes

I have windows XP so it should be OK with it. :)

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is fine with xp. I looked at the WD ver a while ago and I think it is a lite ver of true image echo which is not compatible with win7.

14. jack-o-bytes

Nice one, Thanks you guys. I have downloaded the western digital one and will hopefully be replacing the hard drive tomorow. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice