1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Compatibility?:confused: SCSI to IDE or SATA?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by INeedGmail!!, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INeedGmail!!

INeedGmail!! Thread Starter

Hello All,:)

I just got my hands on a Compaq 36.4 gb hard drive (10k RPM). It has an scsi port connector but I don't know how to connect it to my ECS board which is fairly new (one of those SLI-status boards). (y) I might need a converter of some sort. The hard drive model is: BD0366459B , my board model is ECS 945-p ( http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/mainboard/ecs-945p-a-i945p.html ) .

Thanks ahead of time. ;)

2. saikee

saikee

According to this site
    You need

(1) a SCSI-3 controller to be installed into the mobo
    (2) a Wide Ultra3SCSI cable

You may get the hard disk cheap but could get rip off by the hardware needed to go with SCSI equipment.

The Sata can be viewed as a poor man's SCSI but at least your mobo support 4 units out of the box. I doubt if a SCSI can be cheaper than Sata nowadays which is being retailed at GBP 0.128 per Gb. Thus the 36.4Gb unit would cost no more than GBP 4.65 in UK which, if being a Sata disk, is equivalent to approximately one imperial gallon of petrol. That amount of money will not be able to buy either one the above two attachments required to run the unit.

Technically if you run a Sata Raid 0 to half the access time it should beat the SCSI disk performance hand down, I would have thought.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice