1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by solitudetree, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. solitudetree

solitudetree Thread Starter

I am working on upgrading a friends computer. It is a Presario 5000 Model 5WB220 with a UltraDMA IDE 5400 rpm 15 GB hard drive.

I have a 40 GB Ultra ATA100 7200 rpm hard drive.

Tech support for Compaq said I could only install a 5400 rpm drive. Based on other's comments of their "quality service," I thought I'd double check with some of the experts here.

I think the drive will work down because it will be limited to 5400 rpm which is what the motherboard (per Compaq) recognizes.

Will this work or not???

2. junker39

junker39

Sure, it will work. The motherboard is not concerned with the drives RPM. I've got a 7462 Compaq,(a little older thans yours) and it took a 40 gig 7200 with no problems.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The RPM of a hard drive has nothing to do with the rest of computer, the computer doesn't know or care how fast a drive spins. There are limitions to hard drives but this isn't one of them, those that do exist are size and transfer speed. Older system can only recognise drives up to 32GB, 127GB on others. And if the the transfer speed is too fast then it drops down to a slower mode, ie UDMA 100(100MB/s), UDMA 66, UDMA 33.

4. solitudetree

solitudetree Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!

My Sunday night is now planned. lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice