1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 7stones, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 7stones

7stones Thread Starter

Hi all,
    This may be a dumb question, but after all the problems I've had with the new computer, I'm not taking any more chances.
    I bought an AMD 900mhz with a 20Gig hard drive, and the problems with it are limitless. However, it appears that the hard drive is usable, SO my question is this: can I put the new 20 Gig hard drive into my old computer, which is an IBM Aptiva 7360 333/96mg Ram, or will that size hard drive cause huge problems with an older system?
    Any help appreciated. I've tried a number of ways to make the new system work intact, but everything but hte hard drive seems to have issues that can't be fixed , so I'd really like to salvage something...
    TIA,
    Kristin

2. brianF

brianF

If your running win98 it will probably work, easiest way to find out is hook it up as a slave and make sure it will recognize at full capacity.

3. 7stones

7stones Thread Starter

Thanks, I got antsy and already slaved it, and nothing blew up : )
    But a very WEIRD thing happened:
    I had begun to set up folders in windows explorer to prepare to put the necessary programs onto the new drive that I already have on the old drive.
    I wanted to download a full upgraded version of some software that I use for work from the net, but it kept quitting on me (goZilla was having fits too). So I used the auto upgrade in the program to download it to the old drive and was hoping I could figure out a way to copy it to the new drive, but when I finished, I found out that the program had copied itself to BOTH drives.
    Is this normal?????
    if my rambling is confusing anyone, let me know, and I'll try to be coherent for a minute.
    Dazed and confused,
    Kristin

4. brianF

brianF

No it's not normal. Did you reformat the drive after you slaved it.

5. 7stones

7stones Thread Starter

Brian,
    No- Should I?
    I've never had to format a drive- just followed Windows 98 instructions...

Kristin

6. brianF

brianF

Well you added a drive from a new machine. theorectically it has nothing on it you can use. I would go to my computer, select the new slaved drive, right click, and choose format.

Unless there is something on the drive you need.

You have an os on there you can't use, etc.

7. n2gun

n2gun

As Brian said you should format it, especially seeing you have an operating system on it. I put a new hard drive in daughters machine and used the old as a slave. Had headaches til I reformatted it. Did some weird things.

8. 7stones

7stones Thread Starter

Thanks for everything you've told me so far. Now I have one more question.
    I do have some stuff other than the OS on the new drive, but nothing I can't re-install easily.
    Do I remove everything I've got on the drive before I format, or will the format just erase everything. (Yes, I DO know that I'm clueless, thanks for asking LOL)
    TIA,
    Kristin

9. brianF

brianF

Data files, mp3's, that type of stuff can be moved.

applications you have installed on the other machine and os you will need to reinstall to the current os for them to work properly.
    The installer not only puts in on the hard drive but also installs files and registry keys

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice