Hard drive Conflicts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jafluken

After the installation of a hard drive, I can no longer reboot or shutdown computer. I then have to shutdown manually, but then my computer doesn't run a scan disk showing that there was an improper shutdown. Any help would be greatly apreciated. :confused:

Perhaps a little more info would be helpful ...

Was your new HDD (Hard Disk Drive) set up as a primary slave or secondary master or slave? How old is the computer it was installed into? Does BIOS detect the drive properly? Have you installed any new software along with the HDD? Does the problem go away if the new HDD is disconnected? What mode is your original HDD and what mode is your new HDD?

A little more info could help us help you.

Jafluken

Hello, I had the drive setup for Dual Slave, becaue i already have 1 hard drive in. My computer is a Compaq Presario 5000T series running at 633mhz with 256mb of ram. As for BIOS im not totally sure what you mean, but yes the drive is recognized in windows, and shows 37gb. Its a Western Digital 40GB HD. The only software I installed with the HD was the one that came with it called Data LIfeguard. Im not sure of the modes of my hard drives, perhaps u could tell me how to find that. Also i havent tried disconnecting it, because i figured i would have to reconnect it again. Let me know what you think. :)

Set it up as a slave, not dual slave. You need to change the jumper on the primary drive to master also because it is probably set as a standalone master.

Jafluken

In my manual it only shows jumper settings for CSEL, Dual Master, Single and Dual Slave. Also my computer already has 2 hard drives, ones my C: and ons D: System Save. if that helps any. Let me know what i should do.

Set it up as dual slave! Like I stated before, you also need to change the jumper setting on the drive that is currently in your computer. Most new systems set them up as cable select which will not work the way toy have set the jumper on your new drive.

Ok just how many drives do you have and how are they connected?

"i already have 1 hard drive in"

"Also my computer already has 2 hard drives"

Do any drives have more than one partition?

Also did you format the new drive yet?

:confused:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. "Real life" keeps getting in the way :)

As Rockn said, you should set your new drive to slave if you're keeping the original drive in the computer. Different HDD manufacturers have different designations for doing this. Western Digital calls the setting "dual slave".

All (almost) IDE systems have two IDE channels and each channel can have two devices, one master and one slave. If you're original HDD is set as a "single", that IDE channel will only expect to have one drive connected. When you connect a second drive, the controller can get confused and generate behavior similar to what you're describing.

You should try to determine what the jumper settings for your original HDD are. If it is set to "single" or "CSEL" it should be changed to "master" (dual master according to Western Digital). Your new drive should be set to "dual slave" because there are two drives on that cable and it is the slave (or second) drive.

I suspect that will solve the problems. The reason I was asking about BIOS and mode is that some old (5+ years old) HDDs used a different mode of communication and simply would not work on the same cable as newer drives. It sound like your 'puter is new enough to not have that problem.

Let us know how it goes!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online