1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Connectivity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Peabody, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Thread Starter

I have arranged to buy a new computer, but it would remains beneficial to gain some clarity on what is going on with my computer.

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: Intel Corporation D865GLC AAC28906-409

The online manual for the MOBO does not address this issue.

I want to upgrade my 80g and 40g drives. I have tried a 320g, but the 'puter won't power up. Tried two other large drives, (320 and 1/2T). Power up ok, but did not 'see' the drives.

Fry's guy says my MOBO has a drive size limitation. The number '137' whizzed by somewhere in his explanation. I see nothing in the BIOS that gives me the option of changing a drive-size-value.

Fill in the blanks for me please.

thank you

Mr. P

2. TekTime

TekTime

In some cases, a BIOS update may help, if one has been released for your motherboard that will support larger drives.

The drive size limitation means that your BIOS is "older" and cannot detect a drive past a certain size (i.e. 250GB)

What you will need to do, is partition your drive into smaller partitions, that are detectable by your computer. It's possible that your BIOS won't detect the drive, but Windows will - but, if you are unable to boot up then that doesn't matter anyway!

For instance, say your BIOS doesn't "see" drives larger than 250GB. So, you'll partition your drive into two separate partitions (C & D), each at 125GB. So, you will have one drive split in two, in which your computer will "think" it's two separate drives (but they are two logical drives, one physical) both within the limits of your BIOS. I had an older computer that didn't read beyond 137GB, so I chose to partition the drive into two partitions of 68.5 (although the computer would have detected the drive if it was partitioned to 136GB/1GB)

Easeus Partition Manager is free: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Hope that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!