1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive constantly working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bsvehla, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

Hi there,

For some reason my Hard Drive is always working, even when it is supposed to be sleeping. I don't know if it's writing something or always reading something. Help would be appreciated

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.....

Have you scanned for viruses lately? Is your virus program up to date?

What operating system are you running?

3. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

There are no viruses I have Norton Anitvirus 2002. I have win 98 for an OS

4. ~Candy~

5. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

I can't download it because I don't have agp_1.90_eng.zip any idea where I can get it

6. ~Candy~

What? That appears to be some kind of update for the Omnibook....do you have a laptop?

Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok.......go to the startup tab....is that listed there?

7. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

No it isn't there.

8. ~Candy~

9. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

I found a place to get the agp_1.90_eng.zip, but once it was downloaded it said it needs agp_1.90_eng.zip to read the zip file. How bad is that

10. ~Candy~

Hmmm, this is weird....

start button, run, type msinfo32 and press ok....go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.....

Also, what kind of computer are we working with?

11. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

The computer is AMD K6 224 MB SDRAM

Here are the results

Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE" -b -l
    NVIEW Registry (Per-User Run) rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
    ctfmon.exe Registry (Per-User Run) ctfmon.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    CreateCD50 Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreateCD\CreateCD50.exe" -r
    AdaptecDirectCD Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    NvCplDaemon Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    nwiz Registry (Machine Run) nwiz.exe /install
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe -osboot
    NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    wcmdmgr Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch
    QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run) "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
    WT GameChannel Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\GameChannel.exe
    WinServices Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WinServices.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    MOSearch Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\BIN\MOSEARCH.EXE
    MDM7 Registry (Machine Service) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE"
    WinServices Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WinServices.exe

12. ~Candy~

AMD K6 is not the make/model of the computer....that would identify the processor..........

Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok.....go to startups, and uncheck these:

Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE" -b -l

Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe -osboot

QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run) "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime

WT GameChannel Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\GameChannel.exe

I think there are others that can be unchecked as well, but let's start with these demons ;)

Then restart the computer.

I also think Wild Tangent is a nasty.....a quick search of threads:

http://forums.techguy.org/search.ph...d=260900&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

13. bsvehla

bsvehla Thread Starter

Thanks,

I got rid of those things, and it doesn't constantly work anymore. Thank-you for all your help.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. ~Candy~

MOSEARCH.EXE

I don't think this one needs to be running either..........

Apparently, this feature is implemented via Mosearch.exe and Mosdmn.exe, neither of which shows up in the task manager. As with findfast, don't just delete these files. Instead, follow the (very confusing) instructions provided in OFFXP: Hard Disk Runs Continuously After You Install Office XP (Q282106) to disable it. Unfortunately, this feature must be disabled for each installed Office XP application.

Cut and paste from here:

http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/Parasites.htm

You might have a look at this thread and download spybot and get rid of a bit more stuff.....

http://forums.techguy.org/t106170/s3321a18be132bb250967c5b521f61257.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice