1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Corrupted - Pictures Lost...Grieving Grandma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beckylousiana, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Thread Starter

I have been grieving over the loss of my years of pictures, mainly the last year with my Grandson's first Fish, First Football Team, etc.
    I have been told that i could possibly put the extracted internal harddrive into an enclosure, and move some files to a healthy drive. I went to Circuit City, and was given an enclosure that did not fit my hard drive. I am now just trying to find out which one will fit my hard drive. Here are the information on the drive itself:
    TOSHIBA
    MK2035GSS
    HDD2A30 D ZK01 T
    SATA
    4200RPM
    200GB
    FW: DK021D
    SERIAL ATA
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have had quotes on getting info off of the drive, but we do not have $1,700 - $2,700 to spend for that. I have fooled with computers a lot,and feel competent to perform most suggestions.

A Grandma Grieving............

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  3. beckylousiana

Actually, this adapter looks like it may fit my Hard drive!! ( I am at work, and will not be home to look until later) It looks like the adapter has two different plug ins?? This is what has been driving me crazy! I didn't know there were "adapters" i had just been told about an enclosure.
    i did forget to mention in my intitial post that windows will not come up. Sometimes i get the window that states "Windows Loading" but it never loads.

Will the software you mentions help if the operating system will not come up?

Thanx so much for your help! It sure would help me to get some sleep to get those pictures back. This computer was not even a year old, but next time i will be backing up REGULARLY!

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What's confusing me is the 2.5 inch SATA HD specs.
    I thought all 2.5 inchers (laptops) were ATA's.

It has 3 HD connections ... 3.5" ATA ... 2.5" ATA ... and 3.5" SATA ... then connects to the computer via USB.
    I think you may need to look at the 3.5 inch SATA connector on the adapter.

If the HD is still functional (but non-booting) you should still be able to read the contents as if it were just a External (USB) HD .. when using the USB adapter.

I'm hoping one of our Hardware/Software experts will jump in and shed some light on the 2.5" SATA interface.

Look in Docs n Settings > User > Desktop and/or "My docs" for you data .. (normally)
    Normally .. If the HD was formatted (or erased) ... you'll need the data recovery software.

More "adapters" can be seen here ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Description=USB+IDE++SATA++adpater&x=16&y=30

As far as USB <> SATA enclosures for 3.5" SATA drives ... I prefer this one ..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817424001

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

An adapter that allows you to connect internally is to be preferred over an external case. Though the case could be used later, if your primary goal is to recover, then you don't need the possible intervening USB issues adding to the problem.

Can you give a little background about what exactly happened with that drive? Did you just lose access to it?

Chances are good that the data can be recovered. If the drive is spinning, you have as much chance as data recovery services of finding the contents of the drive.

6. beckylousiana

I am not sure of the exact description of the hard drive, so i have taken some pictures from different angles, and have attached 3 of them.
    From the beginning, the system slowed down a few times, but would recover with a reboot. I was out of town, with no internet, and didn't have a lot of time to check into it. I am really big into taking pictures, then sharing them on a television, but had to purchase an s-video cord while out of town. When I was trying to hook up the cord to the TV, there was a crackling sound from my computer. i unplugged the cord, and it continued. i rebooted and everything seemed fine. I should have stopped then, but I connected it again, and got the pictures up on the tv and everything worked fine.
    Later I downloaded some video from my Sony Handy Cam, and went Hunting that afternoon. The next day when I tried to power up the computer, it gave me the Black Screen telling me that windows did not start properly, etc, etc, and i chose last known configuration. It would not come up. Then I rebooted and it gave me the screen again, and this time it came up (with last known configuration) and the "Windows Loading" screen came on and just stayed there, with the loading dots moving.... the computer manufacturer support, had me run a test, and advised me that my hard drive was corrupted, and sent me a new hard drive.
    I will do whatever it necessary to retrieve the pictures, and possibly other data, that is all that is important to me. I have a desk top and the lap top I can work with.
    I am getting so excited about possibly recovering the pictures. i have much higher hopes than before. Whatever the outcome, I appreciate your time, very very much.

Attached Files:

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. You can connect that internally to your desktop and use recovery software from there.

I'll be back in a few and see if I can find an adapter for you. Or you can check with a local place. You just want an adapter to connect that drive to an internal IDE cable.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay

Attached Files:

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay

Attached Files:

• 186.gif
      186.gif
      File size:
      187.9 KB
      Views:
  10. beckylousiana

The adapters I had looked at via the links above appear to be USB, but if it is better to use the Desktop and go internally, i am Ready! I am ready to order what I need that will be the safest, and hopefully be able to get some instructions.I have tried Circuit City, Best Buy. I know that is not the best places for assistance....... I may be better off ordering the part from your suggested retailers.

i will be offline soon, to be back on in the morning ready to place an order, or try and secure locally.. (i am in a very small town)

I am so thankful for everything!

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not much luck finding an adapter for your 2.5" SATA to IDE (ATA). But I did find this multi-function adapter for USB:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EN2535A&cpc=SCH
    Similar:
    http://www.trueion.com/usb20hacoca.html
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CI-USB31&cpc=SCH
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...52&Sku=T13-5016&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

Of course, if you are going to try to use the drive for external storage later, you might just want an external case for it.

You may find use for it later since it attaches to nearly any drive, and it has an external power source for those drives that need it. I'd prefer IDE, but USB is better than nothing. IDE has an advantage with some recovery applications that work at the BIOS level even if the operating system doesn't detect the drive or file system.

You only need an adapter if you are going to put the drive back in the laptop, but then the enclosures are about the same price.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe we ought to take a step back here. You took the drive out of your laptop, right? Why?

I mean, what happened that made you decide to remove the drive to recover data rather than leaving it in the laptop and recovering data while it was still there? Was there something wrong with it that made you think removing the drive was the best idea?

Was the drive booting? Did you get any error messages?

The best connector I can think of is the one in the computer. Data can be recovered from there with more probability of success than with using adapters, I thin, especially with some of the very good bootable CD's..

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    You may be outa luck in a small town ... Got a Frys Outpost or CompUsa nearby ??
    Maybe a good computer club ?? ... I would think a good computer shop could help.

Yes, they're USB.
    Connecting any functional Drive to the appropriate connector of the adapter I showed, will make it the same as a USB external HD ... but without an enclosure.
    Operating as a USB drive .. then any computer can read it without physically getting into the computer.

If the drive would connect into ....
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817424001 ..
    then you could also get something like ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074

And when you're done with the laptop ... plug in the new SATA HD and have an External HD to store your backups in .. for any computer.

The question is .. will your HD fit ??
    From your pics ... it looks like a normal (but smaller) SATA hard drive.

Attached Files:

• 696.gif
      696.gif
      File size:
      244.5 KB
      Views:
  14. beckylousiana

The manufacturer has sent me another hard drive, and i have installed it into the Laptop and it is up and running... Now i have to send this old hard drive back to the manufacturer. I just wanted to try and get my info off of it before, and also erase al datat on it so that I don't have to worry about it being refurbished (which is what the manufacturer sent to me) and possibly some sensitive information getting into the wrong hands........ Which brings me to another question, about erasing the hard drive after i get the data off of it. Any Sure procedures??
    I can't see the connection on the xxxxx424001 to tell if mine will fit. The adapter mentioned earlier looks like it would plugin...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

What would you two suggest that may be the more versatile part, and might allow me to access other size drives, as I have several from "Old" computers, dating up to 15 years ago. I kept them just because i thought i might someday be able to go back and get the information off of them... IBM - MODEL: DPLA=25120 E182115 S; QUANTAM FIREBALL EX 3.2 AT, 3.5 series; and a Maxtor 90840D6. Also my husbands HP of 7 years is being phased out of the house, but he has a lot of info on that drive also. I am sure that one adapter will not fit all of them, but after I complete this task, I would like to attempt to access all of them, and possibly my sisters crashed drive also!
    ( I love doing this, and think I was born too early, or I would have been a Good Computer Girl!! It is been very hard to find anyone with enough time, and patience to help me learn.)
    Thanx again for everything!!!!!!!!!

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Looks like this is your best option .... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102
    I got one similar several years ago ... Just in case I had to read my laptop ATA HD ... or someone else's.
    It should be able to read any of your old HDs .. Just like they were a USB external HD.

If you, or a friend, has a SATA HD equipped computer (and a spare SATA cable) ...
    They should be able to connect your SATA HD .. as a second HD .. and read it.

There is some HD erasing software around ... Any one know a free one ??.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice