Hard Drive crash, recovery + no Internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sbmmm

Hello,

My hard drive crashed beyond salvage. I bought a new hard drive, installed it and used my recovery disks to get the basics back. It is a Sony Vaio laptop (PCG-Gr390, to be specific). It has Windows XP, pre SP1/SP2. When I installed it, I went through the formatting process and formatted it for the first time, being that it's a new HD. Everything worked as expected, but I have yet to update anything because I can not successfully connect to the Internet. All efforts to create a connection were unsuccesful.

Next to my laptop is a slow Dell desktop, runnung a fully updated XP operating system. Using the same cable modem, connection to the Internet was fine with the desktop for both wired and wireless, but not the newly formatted laptop. My ethernet jack and wireless card on the laptop are working (according to the device manager).

Does anyone have any suggestions to create a connection to the Internet?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Is there a flag next to the network adapter in your system properties? Try uninstalling the network drivers and restart the computer and have windows reload the drivers.

Attachments

sbmmm

My device manager showed all the adapters working properly - ethernet, 1394 and the wireless pc card. Still, I did uninstall the drivers and rebooted, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

sbmmm

It works! Thanks Lance1. The wireless connection was not working after your suggestion, but later I took the laptop over to the router with an ethernet cable. Voila!

The problem now is the wireless, but I'll figure that out later. I'm good.

Thanks again,
Steve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online