1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techless5399, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techless5399

techless5399 Thread Starter

I have a Dell inspiron n5010. The hard drive crashed, error code 2000-0146.
    Computed won't load windows 7 and I do not have any restore points. I bought a cheap restore program. Helped a little, gave me the failure code and shows some files on computer
    1st question: Can I change the hard drive to an SSD 500gb?
    2nd.: Can I program the SSD from my new windows 10 laptop and install it in the old laptop?
    3rd: Is this repair worth it?

Inspiron
    CPU INTEL i3, 2261 MHZ
    L1 CACHE 128KB
    L2 CACHE 512KB
    L3 CACHE 3072KB
    FIXED HDD SAMSUNG HM321HI 320GB
    SATA ODD HL-DT-ST DVD=/-RW GT10N
    System memory 4096MB
    Extended memory 640KB
    memory speed 1066MHZ

New Computer

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, AMD64 Family 23 Model 17 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7733 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 3 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 905 GB (839 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, LNVNB161216
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yes, the current 2.5" SATA HDD can be replaced with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

Not really, no. "Why?" One of the first things the Windows installation routine does is to take an inventory of the current hardware in the computer and then installs the correct software for that particular setup. So, unless the Windows 10 computer is exactly identical to the old one, the installation of Windows 7 will probably have trouble, or might even fail to run right on the old computer.

For roughly $75 for a new SATA SSD, I think it would probably be worth it. Especially if you were to go ahead and upgrade it to Windows 10 (for free). It would then be an extra general-purpose computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice