1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Crash??????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trinity98, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trinity98

Trinity98 Thread Starter

OK.... OUr computer will not boot it has a 2703?? Hard Disk error and a pointing device error...... It goes to this black screen with the front of a floppy drive and a floppy going into it and it list all the "F" keys F1 - F12 but it points to the F1 key I put the 98 boot disk in and push F1 and it loads the help files.... And then I am lost......... Please help!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. BEL6772

BEL6772

So, if I understand correctly, you end up on a black screen with a little

A:>

on the left. If your computer has loaded the Windows Ramdrive and files, you should be able to run scandisk. First, though we should look in BIOS (called setup on some 'puters) and see if your HDD is still working on a basic level. Re-start your 'puter and follow instructions to get to setup (BIOS). On mine I have to hit DEL during the memory check/POST sequence. Once you're in, look around for something to do with IDE controllers. If your HDD is working, you should see it listed as the Primary IDE Master device. Some BIOSs will just say auto or auto-detect. You have to select the setting to get it to report what is actually there.

Assuming your HDD is still recognized in BIOS, boot from the Win98 boot disk and type SCANDISK C: at the prompt. That should give you a report on the health of your HDD. You may also consider booting from a virus-checker disk, if you have one.

Let us know what you find!

Brian

3. Trinity98

Trinity98 Thread Starter

actually the screen you are talking about comes after the Help files are loaded...... The screen I am questioning is the screen with the floppy pic on it...... does this matter?

:confused:

4. angel

angel

What kind of computer do you have? I know the screen you're referring to as I get it on my old Thinkpad 760ED when the hard drive isn't detected and there's no boot disk in the floppy. It's basically just saying, "I didn't find anything to boot with so would you just insert a boot disk so I can continue?!"

5. BEL6772

BEL6772

Actually, I think I saw something similar to that on an IBM machine. Something about "insert bootable media". Most 'puters just give you a DOS style message, without the graphics.

If I am correct, the screen you're seeing is just your computer's way of telling you that it can't find the files necessary to boot. They're usually on the HDD. Since your computer can't find them, you need to use a floppy (or a bootable CD, if supported). The reason your computer can't find the boot files could be any number of things. You may have a virus, your HDD may have come unplugged, your HDD may have failed, your HDD controller may have failed, or the files were inadvertently erased. Checking BIOS is the first step to ruling out a complete HDD failure. If it shows up, the HDD is still working (on some level) and plugged in.
    Once we have that, we go to software tool to see if we can get your 'puter healthy again.

Brian

6. Trinity98

Trinity98 Thread Starter

IBM 200

7. Trinity98

Trinity98 Thread Starter

I think I am just going to format the HD and start over.....

8. BEL6772

BEL6772

As long as it's not a hardware issue, that will do the trick. I'd still recommend a thourough SCANDISK to check for bad clusters or other errors. No point formatting a dying drive.

Brian

9. Trinity98

Trinity98 Thread Starter

It was a boot Sequence error..... It's fixed yea!!!!!! Wishing everyone the warmest holidays! :):D :D :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice