1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sacket, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sacket

sacket Thread Starter

my hard drive crashes when i copy files from one partition to another and the c: drive directory structure turns to gibberish if that makes any sense and i have to fdisk format and reinstall windows and program files. i've checked the cable , jumper setting and ran the diagnostics disk that came with the drive and the drive appears to be healthy mechanically and electrically. is windows 98 really that unstable ? i'm wondering , if i back up the mbr and partition table could i just restore them after a crash to avoid reinstalling everything ? is the mbr and partition table the same thing and how would i go about backing them up. any thoughts ?

2. Rockn

Rockn

IS the drive set up correctly in the BIOS? Are you running any drive overlay software on the drive (for compatibility with large drives and older system BIOS)? Do you have the correct drivers for your IDE controller? Right click My Computer and select properties, go to the performance tab and if it says DOS compatibility mode you may have a controller problem. I wouldn't suspect the OS at all as being the culprit though.

3. sacket

sacket Thread Starter

thanks, i just upgraded my bios and ide drivers, bios settings were correct and as far as overlay software i've never heard of it before so i don't know if i have it or not . i hope the new drivers take care of the problem we'll see. I'd still like to know about backing up the mbr and/or partition table. heard it was a good thing to do but i can't find out how

4. Rockn

Rockn

You can't back up the MBR, but you can make an image of your drive after your OS is initially set up using something like Ghost and burning that image to CD for later use.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice