1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robodoc, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

I'm working on an older Compaq Presario 5070 for my father-in-law. He has been lax in keeping his virusscan up to date. I've built him a new computer that is ready to install, but days before my trip to do the install his presario took a dump. It appears through various boot attempts that the Config.sys files got corrupted in line 2 and 3. The drive is running Win 98. I can access the drive through DOS and run DIR and see all the files intact. I would like to recover his address book for Outlook Express. When trying to boot with windows I get an error that reads, "Can Not Find QR System Save Drive". I don't need to save this computer or drive, I just would like to retrieve some info. All help would be appreciated
    Robodoc

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Put the drive into any working PC as secondary slave and you can salvage anything you want. If you have another PC with Win98, you can check where and how outlook express is storing personal data. I don't have a Win98 right now before me, but I think you should look for *.pst and *.pab files. The .pst contains the mailbox with its whole folder structure, .pab is the Personal Address Book. If the files are found, I think you can import them into another outlook express.

3. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

I've put it in another computer, but as a master just to confirm the hard drive was the problem. I never thought of the slave angle. Great call, I'll get right on it. Sometimes the brain misses the obvious.

4. onsite

onsite

Search for dbx files, that is the outlook express email
    to see the folder in windows explorer you must have see hidden files and folders turned on in folder options if you arelooking at it in windows, looking at another HD in DOS probbably not.
    The location is something like this
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER ID\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{A9589E0A-3EAA-40DB-BDEF-E4350F6A7846}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    Don't for get DOS may truncate after 7 characters, so it may be easier to look for dbx files

5. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

While doing a search for *pab I get one file called BitWareUser. I don't see anything that appears to be the address book

6. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

I just got "onsite's" reply. I'll try it.

7. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

*.dbx got me to the Inbox, outbox, and deleted items file, but I'm after the address book.

8. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Yeah... Then .pst and .pab extensions must belong to Outlook. Sorry

I tried to import an address book on my system. Outlook express looked for files with a ".wab" extension. Try searching for wab files.

9. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

What's more, I found this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\User name.wab

10. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

When you say user name am I inserting my actual user name on the internet?

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Just do a search on *.wab really thats going to be the only file on there with that extension.

The directory example won't be the same (where it says Username) because your recovering from a Windows98 disk.

12. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

*.wab revealed one File, It's name was "Default" it's in folder "D:\WINDOWS\Application data\Microsoft\Address Book" When I double click on the default icon it tells me "The specified file does not appear to be a valid address book file" It's a 226 KB file modified 7/28/06.

13. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

When we talk about user name, are we talking about the user name for the computer or the internet?

14. onsite

onsite

...neither , the loged on user
    see ,,, look under documents and settings:)

15. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

Was there a logged on user function with Win 98?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice