1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gwrman, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwrman

gwrman Thread Starter

I was wanting to ask if anyone knew of a way that I could transfer data from my old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad to a desktop PC hard drive. The laptop is incapable of being powered up as the motherboard is defunct but the hard drive itself is still ok. So what would I need in order to connect the two up and what software if any would I need to use. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

2. RandyG

RandyG

You will need a Laptop Hard Drive Converter kit which will enable the 2.5" laptop to fit the PCs 3.5" bay. It all comes with cable conversions.

Do a search for them, and you will find loads of places you can buy them. They run about $10, from what I have found

3. gwrman

gwrman Thread Starter

Right, now ive found an IDE connector cable to go from a 2.5" drive to a 3.5" which I hope will do the job. Having looked inside my pc though the IDE Cable which connects my current hard drive to the motrherboard has an adaptor on the IDE cable in order to connect another IDE cable to it. But will that supply the power needed for the IBM Drive that I am connecting to it ? The IBM laptop drive I am connecting to it only has one connector coming out of it so presum bably the power is supplied through the IDE cable that I will be connecting to it ? Can anyone shed any light on that bit for me please ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice