1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive dead or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pandar, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

I have a western digital 200gb SATA hard drive
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-153&depa=0
    thats my hd.
    My WD hd recently restarted on me while talking on aim, when it restarted it would freeze the moment windows xp professional started to load. I tried to go into recovery console and new installation using the win.xp professional cd but the moment i pressed the recovery console or tried to get into new installation/repair installion it would freeze. Is this a dead hard drive problem? i'd like to know if i'd be able to get a replacment

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not really possible to say without running the WD diagnostic utilities on it.

They should be available for download free from the WD site.

3. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

4. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

thx gonna give it a go

5. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

just tried to run it from a floppy, my computer would freeze the moment i tried to run the test, i've tried a few times, so does this mean a hard ware failure?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Can you run chkdsk /r from the recovery console?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I guess you tried that. Check your ram if you have more than one stick. I had a machine that would not work at all. Couldn't install windows, couldn't do squat because of bad ram.

8. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

well i used a older hard drive and i could start it up and everything but loading windows/getting into windows was very slow. Imma try to get a replacment for my wd hd

9. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

If you just got it, returning it shouldnt be a problem

10. obvious

obvious

seems to be the 'bad western digital 200gb hdd' day today doesnt it? 15th ive heard of all day (from various sites). same size, same make. btw, coincedences do not happen imo.

11. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

Hopefully my next western digital will be alot smoother. Gonna get a maxtor hd to replace it until my WD comes back xD

12. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

New question: would there be a conflict if i get a maxtor 200gb hd SATA and have it as primary master and when i get back my WD HD and set it as primary slave?
    like installing differnt hard drive recovery stuff the companies supply on their websites

13. obvious

obvious

why dont you try it on a friends pc and find out?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice