1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive detection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ARNGUS, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

Hi,

I am having a problem with my 20 GB Seagate hard drive. I was using this hard drive for about a couple of months when something went terribley wrong. I plugged in another hard drive to slave off of my 20GB hard drive to transfer some files on to the secondary drive when all of a sudden my 20GB Seagate hard drive wouldn't detect. I know the jumper settings are correct and everything is plugged in correctly into the hard drive. After I plugged in the other hard drive, I immediately took out the secondary one when my 20GB wasn't being detected and set the 20GB hard drive back the way it was but the 20GB hard drive would not boot at all. This is what happens.....the computer will turn on normally but will stay at the "Detecting IDE primary master..." for a long time. As a matter of fact, I left it like that for about an hour and when I came back it still had the same message, like it froze when it was trying to detect it. Normally, if a hard drive can't be detected, that message will stay on for about a minute and then tell you the drive cannot be found or detected. This is different. It stays at that screen for a LONG time and never changes. Any suggestions on what may be the problem and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

AMD Athlon 1 GHZ
    256 MB RAM
    Windows 98 SE
    Seagate 20GB Barracuda ATA III Model ST320414A

2. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Three things to check...

1) You say the drives are jumpered correctly - make sure. I have seen disks where the schematic on the label either did not agree with the tiny, little labels inlaid near the jumper pins, or the little labels were so offset from the pins they were confusing. (I recommend not using the cable-select option at all)

2) Make absolutely sure the ribbon-cable connecting your drive to the controller interface is plugged in correctly - the standard is to have the stripe connected to pin-1 on the device AND on the mobo i/f. If one end of the cable is turned around things won't work.

3) Check carefully for bent or broken pins.

LAST - Work with only one drive until it works. Then work with the other drive (by itself) until it works. Then hook up both of them.

G'luck !!

3. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

1) I'm pretty sure they are jumpered correctly since I put the jumper on the same way I had it on before when it was working perfectly fine.

2) The ribbon-cable is plugged in correctly. I plugged it in the same way I had it plugged in before the drive got messed up.

3) The pins where the ribbon-cable connects are perfectly straight but the pins where the jumper is located are bent a little inward. I will bend it outward some and see if that helps, but I doubt it will.

I've been working with just this drive alone. I have tried it in two computers already and it seems to be stuck at the same screen. One computer stays at the "Detecting Primary IDE Drive..." screen and another computer gets stuck at the "Wait" screen. I'm stumped on what the problem could be and can't dish out the cash to let a computer technician look at it. Please, any other advice is helpful and greatly appreciated.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you gone back into the bios setup to check the drive parameters, size, etc.?

5. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

I tried to set the drive settings manually but the same thing still comes up.

6. ~Candy~

Is everything showing up there correctly?

7. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

No, it just sits there at the screen and does nothing. It doesn't even try to detect it.

8. ~Candy~

If it hangs there, then a jumper is more than likely wrong....or the gray cable is on backwards!

Is it by itself on the cable? Or is there something else with it?

9. Norwalker

Norwalker

Here are some possibilities to try:

1) If there is a second IDE controller interface in your computer, you might try connecting your drive to that one to be sure the interface isn't bad
    2) If some of the pins on the jumpers were bent, it might be that those pins are loose, not allowing the controller on the drive detect how it is set ( master/slave/etc.) you might try seeing if the drive will show up as a slave drive on the controller( using the new drive as the master ) to see if it will be detected
    3) Have you tried another cable to be sure the cable hasn't gone bad?

Just some suggestions, hope they are helpful

10. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

AcaCandy, the hard drive is plugged into the cable by itself. The gray cable isn't on backwards because I am able to plug another hard drive into the cable the same way, alone, and it works fine when I do.

Norwalker,

1) I tried hooking up my hard drive to my CD-ROM cable to be sure I didn't have any bad cables and it did the same thing, but it detected "none" in the first two steps and when it got to the third step it froze and did nothing.

2) I doubt the pins are really loose because when I went to go straighten the pins out where the jumper is, it didn't feel loose at all. Since my hard drive doesn't need a jumper to set it as the slave drive, I plugged in another hard drive (making that one a master drive) and plugged in the messed up hard drive (making that a slave drive, which doesn't require a jumper). It was able to detect the first hard drive, but when it went to go detect the second hard drive in the second step, it froze again.

3) I've tried about 2 computers with different cables and the same thing keeps poping up. I'm going to go into work today and try my hard drive in my computer at work. All I want to do is be able to get the important files off of my hard drive.

11. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Now, you will probably LYAO, but- after I had put in one new hard drive, had same "WAIT" message on screen, no detection, etc. I had plugged keyboard into port for mouse and mouse into keyboard. Soon as I switched cables, things worked normal.
    Worth a look?

12. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

How are the Properties for the Hard Disk Controllers looking in Device Manager? Any !'s?

13. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

I tried the keyboard and mouse and they are plugged in correctly. On my other hard drive I am able to check the device manager and everything is alright. There are no !'s anywhere.

14. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

This is something I have never heard of before - but that does not make it not possible. It almost sounds as if your second drive is "hard-wired" as a cable-select device (it couldn't be hard-wired to be both a master and a slave). If it is a cable-select device then wouldn't your other drive have to be jumpered for "cable-select" also ? I just don't understand how your drive knows whether you want it to be a master or a slave. I feel very close to learning something new here.

15. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Thread Starter

Right before this whole problem started the 20GB hard drive had a jumper setting set on "Master". When I put the second hard drive in as a master and changed the 20GB to a slave, that's when the problem started. I put everything back the way it was, like when it worked before, and the freezing at the detection screen started. I also tried it the other way around - I put the 20GB as a master and the other hard drive as a slave, but either way made it freeze up. If you would like, I could take pictures of the inside of my computer and hard drive if that would help any.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/72876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice