1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive detection problems and other errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hypertroll, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hypertroll

hypertroll Thread Starter

I'm not really sure where to put this, as it covers many different errors, but basically what is happening is this; when I boot up my computer, half of the time it doesn't detect my main hard drive. Even when it does, it still trys to boot off my secondary hard drive, despite the other one being higher up in the boot order. So, if i select it maually, it boots windows, before bluescreening. I have anywhere between about 30 seconds and 5 hours before it bluescreens. When it bluescreens, it either gives a kernel stack inpage error, a kernal data unpage error, or it tells me that a critical thread has been exited unexpectedly.

Does anyone have any ideas? I will try to find more information if people need it.

2. hypertroll

3. Parkman

Parkman

start by testing your hard drive and memory for problems. Test hard drive by going to the manufacturers webpage and downloading their utility. example, wd diagnostics for western digital, and seatools for seagate.

4. hypertroll

i would, but this is one of the times when the hard drive isn't in the boot menu.

5. Parkman

Parkman

oh i thought that only happened half the time according to your original post. If you can get it to detect one of these times then running a test would be the thing to do.

6. hypertroll

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy over the last week or so. I've managed to organise it so that one of my friends who builds computers will test it for and find out what is going wrong. I'll pass your advice onto him.

7. jazz3000

jazz3000

Wondering what your jumper on your HDs are set up as? Jazz

8. hypertroll

Absolutley no idea, but i've passed ot off onto other people to worry about now :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice