1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Difficult to Wake Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roger Davis, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roger Davis

Roger Davis Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital 7gig hard drive installed as the second drive. Frequently it will not be found when the computer boots. About the other half of the time, all works normally.

The problem first becomes apparent when the BIOS looks for the drives. It will hesitate for a LONG time, then find the first drive, and not find the second drive. If this happens, the drive activity light will stay steadily lit for as long as the computer is turned on - no blinking, always on.

Can anyone advise me, or give me a good guess, whether the problem is likely the drive, power to the drive, or the IDE controller?

Thanks!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

My guess is the IDE controller is the first suspect, then the drive. Of course, if it is the IDE controller, it is the same as saying it is the board. Try putting each hard disk on a separate IDE channel.

Are you running an Amptron or ECS board?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to put the blame on the drive. If it has SMART capability, you might try to find a SMART utility and see what it has to say about startup speeds. I've had several IDE drives that got so bad that I'd have to give them a RAP on the side to get them spinning, then they'd work fine until a power-down. I'd guess that a 7gig drive is a few years old, so it probably doesn't owe you anything at this point.

4. Roger Davis

Roger Davis Thread Starter

The motherboard is Intel:
    SE440BX-2, AA720938-205
    BIOS: 4S4EB2X0.86A.0024.P17, 8/17/2000

The drive is about 2 years old. A rap by dropping the case from about an inch or two off the desk does sometimes, but by no means always, help it to get going, though I have heard it start to spin up while just sitting there.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think from the last description that it's almost certainly on it's way out. Don't put anything valuable on it, and start shopping for the replacement. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice