1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive disappeared. Crash?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etherdose, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    I usually leave my computer on 24/7 and when I got up this morning I noticed a 'Delayed Write Failure' error on my desktop. I restarted my computer and the 3 partitions I had for my 950gig drive vanished. All the stuff vanished and the links to those drives no longer exist in my computer. Is there anything I can do to get the data back? Is the drive just simply dead? Help please? I am freaked as I had some important and too large for simple backup data on there.

:-( :( :eek:

2. Anthony7

Anthony7

First off I want to know if the drive is even listed in device manager. Go to start>run>devmgmt.msc. Look under Disk drives and see if it is listed there, possibly with an error. If it is not there you indeed have a physical issue with the disk, my suggestions would be to try reseating both the power and SATA or IDE cables on the Hard drive itself. Do this while the computer is off. Power it back on and see if it reappears.

If it does not reappear in windows the disk might be bad.... Does it make any noise while it is running? Can you hear it spin up when your tun the computer on?

If possible try it in another computer to eliminate a hard drive controller or cable as the issue.

Regards,

Anthony

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

4. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Ok...

It makes no weird sounds, but what I did was this. My system was DIRTY...., so I took the blower end of a shop vacuum to the insides and got all the grey rabbits out. I cleaned all the fans and I cleaned all the yuck out. I pulled out the offending and seemingly dead hard drive and the computer runs fine without it.

The drive didn't list under Disk Management, so I took it out and cleaned it. Tonight I will attempt to put it back in and IF it does boot up ok, does this mean it's a failing drive? I got it refurbished from Geeks.com and I have only had it for a year. I don't think it's under warranty anymore. S.hitty....it's like they build these things with a built in timer so you will get a broken product and be clear of their warranty obligations. *sighs*

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I steer clear of refurb hard drives, they usually have a 90day warranty, most new drives have 3~5 years warranty

If they feel it is only worth having 90days, then I have No faith it is any good at all.

Most refurb stuff is pretty good, hard drives aren't one of them in my experience.

6. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    LOL.... figures. I was sold on the whole 750gigs for $70 pitch, (keep in mind I thought it was 900gig.) I was wrong...forgot that I don't have any close to a terabyte yet. I'll be getting back to this post tonight. Thanks for the help so far. Most is stuff I already knew, BUT getting a second opinion in case there is something I forgot helps. Plus I will be checking those links you posted. I most likely will stick it in my external hard drive case to see if it cooks up. Hope it does.

7. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Ok

In using my external enclosure and plugging this dieing drive back in, it only shows one out of 3 of the partitions it originally had on it. GAH. Does this mean the other 2 are dead and gone for good? Any ideas on how to recover the data myself?? Thanks.

Edit UPDATE=
    I am seeing the partitions now when I reconnected it to the external drive, and it's acting just fine. However, I do not trust it. I am going to run the program that you suggested to test and diagnose the drive. I MIGHT still use it in the external which I shut off when I am not dropping any data into it. Simply, it will no longer be run 24/7 inside my computer, but rarely off and on in an external case as to prolong the hard drive life. Not sure if this makes a difference, but it would seem so.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

9. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    I downloaded and ran Testdisk, but I don't know how to use it correctly I guess. I selected the offending hard drive and partition, but nothing asks me if I would like to 'test' anything. There was format options and other stuff. I must have missed something.

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You need to read the documentation section in that link I posted.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice