1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Disconnect?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prblm Slver, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prblm Slver

Prblm Slver Thread Starter

This isn't a problem I'm having, it's for another friend of mine.

Now, my friend says that every once in a while, his computer says it can't find his hard drive, he opens it up, jiggles with the cables, and it works again, for a while. He doesn't throw his computer around or anything, so he doesn't know why it keeps saying that it's disconnecting. The hard drive seems fine, I suspect something with the connection what should my next step be? (We don't have another hard drive to test it with)

2. danielno8

danielno8

try a different cable.....

try the hard drive you used to type the message

3. exocet

exocet

The first thing i would do is BACKUP anything important on the harddrive! If the drive is crying its agony unto you and dying, that would be you priority.

Secondly, i would go to the manufacturer's website for the harddrive, and download whatever diagnostic utility they have available that checks the drive's health. It would seem that either there's a short somewhere and the drive isn't receiving power, or the disk inside is having problems and not spinning up as well as it used to. But the first thing would be to see if the diagnostic and find anything wrong.

Also, if the drive is under warranty, you may just want to contact the manufacturer and get a replacement drive, which shouldn't cost you any money outside of shipping.

4. jrg116

jrg116

U know I hate to heard that, in the back of my mind I was thinging in that line. The drive seems to be working fine except for this problem, Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice