1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Docking stations - are they safe?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OM2, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

Hard Drive Docking stations - are they safe for your hard drive?
    Surely the 'handling' of the hard drive is not, good for the hard drive??
    Doesn't is have many sensitive parts that should not be handled?

Is it OK to have one of these instead of a hard drive enclosure?

The great thing is that you can just pull one hard drive out and put another in!

Any replies would be great

Thanks

OM

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    They are convenient in that regard. The extra handling could be detrimental to the drives. As far as the drive itself, the units I've seen have an enclosure for the drive so that it is protected from fingers in the wrong places.

Another caveat -- Any time you introduce another connection, you add a potential trouble spot or failure mode in the future.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I don't know, but I have one being delivered on Friday that I intend to use for SATA data recovery.

4. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    I have one that I used then put the HDD in my machine.But I had no problems with it when I used it.In fact I thought is was quite handy,you can pull the HDD out very easily with no harm.I will be using it again after I get my system upgraded and add an extra HDD for backup.
    I give it 2 thumbs up.:)

5. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys
    i'm still unsure!
    i love the idea of being able to pull out and pop in drives
    i don't like the idea of risking damaging though
    having said that, a hard drive looks pretty robust!!
    in fact there is no reason why there should be any sensitive parts dangling!!
    but... i say this not being a low level hardware expert!
    would be good to hear some more feedback
    thanks

6. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    OK,the thing with the docking port is that you can buy an internal HDD to use in it which is cheaper than an external drive,and you can use multiple HDD'S, you just pop one out and insert the other.You do not do any harm to the HDD by popping it in and out,you can even do that while the docking port is turned on.
    There was an episode on Leo Laporte's THE Lab with Leo which showed them doing the removal of a HDD while the docking port was turned on with no ill effects.I tried it myself and had no problem.There is an on/off switch on the back of the dock you can turn off if you are not comfortable leaving it on and removing a HDD.
    There is no need to be hesitant about using one,they are an excellent and easy way to go.Very convenient.And cheap.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice