1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive doesn't power up with new power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OmegaPiranha, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmegaPiranha

OmegaPiranha Thread Starter

Several months ago I upgraded most of my PC.
    ASRock Z370 Gaming K6
    i7 8700k Coffee Lake
    Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4 2800 (16 gigs)
    EVGA Geforce GTX 970
    2tb SATA hard drive

This was all running on a Corsair 500 watt power supply. Now a couple days ago I decided it was finally time to upgrade, so I bought another 16 gigs of the same RAM listed above and a Seasonic Focus+ 750 Gold power supply. (I think) everything is hooked up the way it should be, only now it's sounding like my hard drive doesn't want to turn on. It'll make a whir like it's trying but then it just makes a sound like it can't turn on. I'm assuming this is the problem because my motherboard can't detect the hard drive, and it's still plugged in the same spot I had it originally when it was working. I believe it was slot SATA3_0_1.
    Faulty hard drive? Or hopefully I'm doing something wrong so I don't have to screw with returning it.
    Any ideas would be warmly welcomed!

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Double-check the connections to ensure they're secure. If it still won't detect, check in your BIOS since sometimes you have to enable SATA ports there before they'll work with the peripherals you've attached.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice