1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive doesn't show up in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soapstop, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soapstop

Soapstop Thread Starter

Ok, painful question here. What am I missing? 2 1/2 year old Dell crapped out, Hard drive failure of complete and utter magnitude. Ok, so had to get a new hard drive. Did so, installed it, but didn't have the OS CD that came with it, because it was one of those "never need to make a backup disk of your OS again" piece of cardboard that comes in the package. Should never have believed Dell.....what was I thinking.... anyway.. So, I found another windows xp os disc, put it in, got it loaded, got everything working. Of course, windows recognized that this was not an authorized version, as the os had been installed in another computer that was getting updates, yadda yadda. No sweat, needed to get me an update anyway, so decided I might just buy a leftover Vista Business complete (not an update) and start fresh. Well first, I hate Vista, but that's another story. Anyway, loaded Vista Business as a fresh install, works great. Rebooted it after the windows updated itself, and presto chango, the hard drive is not recognized at all, no way, no how. I've tried booting from cd, but it just doesn't matter if it can't read the hard drive. It keeps coming up with that issue. What did I do wrong?
    Thanks in advance!

2. kev1952

kev1952

The most common cause of a hard drive not showing is that the cable is loose. Disconnect the data cable and reconnect it, making sure that it is fully plugged in. Test.

You may, also, have disabled the drive controller(s) in the BIOS setup. Enter setup and select "Load Defaults", save and exit. Test again.

3. Soapstop

Soapstop Thread Starter

Hey Kev:
    Thanks for the advice. Tried the "Load Defaults", but it didn't go. Tried unplugging and replugging. Still doesn't recognize the hard drive, which of course it already had done just minutes before the reboot. I dunno, I am going around in very tight little circles. Something else I didn't mention though, and that is that I had installed a parallel printer port while I had it turned off, to prepare it for printing to a dot matrix printer which is standard in our system here at work. Think that might have done anything?

Robin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice