1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive dying? help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knowfear, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knowfear

knowfear Thread Starter

Which device is the problem?

My harddrive is starting to make 'click' noises where it sounds like it powers down, and then immediately starts to power back up (I can hear the disks start to spin up again). When this happens my computer freezes for a second. Problem is, I dont know if it's a harddrive going bad, or if its the powersupply going bad. And if it's a harddrive, I don't know which one it would be. I have 3 harddrives, and to run my system I need at least 2 going (maybe all three).

Any suggestions for finding out which hardware is bad before I lose any data????

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Usually you can figure it out by going into my computer, and access each drive independently. The one that has the longer access time, and/or makes the clicking sounds.....is the problem drive.......just had a similar thing happen.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Sounds like you better hurry- best easiest solution might be to just replace the power supply. With 3 hard drives and all the rest, you may be underpowered, supply may be just on the brink of dying, or as you say, it may be one of the drives. A good minimum would be 300Watt supply, and they should be AMD approved type if you have an AMD processor. Your problem sounds just like what you think- one drive or more is going- clicking noises are a bad signal.

How old are the drives? Do they have a lot of free space?
    What operating system(s) do they contain?
    What else you can do: This is hard to say- the diagnostics alone are pretty intensive, might cause failure...that's the standard warning/disclaimer....personally, never had any problems with them. Hard drive manufacturer's provide tools to tell if the hard drive has bad areas, they are downloadable to a floppy disk, get them for each brand of disk you have. Works from DOS, bootable disk.
    Are any under warranty? The same drive tools above will give you a code to return the drive, if found bad. They mostly allow you two methods- return old drive, get blank one in the mail, or get new one sent to you, then 30 days to return your old one. They take a credit card number if you do it this way, and they charge you if you fail to return the drive.
    What does Scandisk report about the drives? Do you run that regularly, and defrag?
    Think I would start backing stuff up right away- hard disks fail suddenly a lot of times....
    You may also just have to open the case, then, with computer running, get some kind of stethoscope and listen to each with something running at that time. Good time to make sure all your fans are turning, and clean them, too. Heat could be a problem.
    Some one here may have a better software solution-

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Ok, well clicking noises as you described usually mean an impending harddrive death.

A cheap easy way to identify the culprit is to get a piece of rubber hose or tubing. Open up your system and do whatever you do to get the noise. When the noise occurs, hold one end of the hose to your ear and the other end next to each HDD.

Definitely start backing up any and all important data.

5. knowfear

knowfear Thread Starter

Well, the drives are of varying ages/vendors. 60gig IBM deskstar, 40gig Western Digital Caviar, and another 40gig that is either maxtor or WD

6. knowfear

knowfear Thread Starter

there isnt anything I can do to make it click, it just happens once in a while..

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Then I suggest going to the various manufacturer websites and getting their HDD diagnostic programs to see if you can identify which one is going bad.

good luck.

8. $teve

$teve

knowfear.......is it a rythmic clicking?i have a W.D 30 gig drive that did the same thing for about a month.... then one boot up it was not detected by the system.you should back up...i think the drive is going bye bye......mine did:(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice