1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by James Crosso, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

Hello,

My computer occasionally makes buzzing noises that last approximately 5 seconds. The computer does not stall in any way, nothing flickers, there is no noticable change in performance while this happens. I am not certain if this buzzing is caused by the CD-ROM Drive (Which I doubt -- it is new and works ok) or by my hard drive (which is frightening, but the computer works fine) or by some other peripheral.

I have experienced some problems whena DVD is in the drive while booting up the computer, but I have been advised just to remove the DVD to avoid them (Someone suggested it was a virusscan issue)

Is it possible that the Hard drive is on its way out even though the buzzing doens't effect the performance at all?

Either way, I'm backing up right now!

James

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. stiney

stiney

Dying case fan? I played find the dying case fan yesterday. It was buzzing. Course it was hitting a wire. But it was buzzing.

Probably not the answer. LOL. Sorry.

4. charles7514

charles7514

mine in a gateway was making noises like that too, I replaced it.

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Don't wanna hijack the thread, so you can pm me, how old is that gateway and what make. I think the case fan in mine may have died which may have caused the graphics card to fry.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's most likely the fan, they're the component that fails more often than anything else. :)

7. brite750

brite750

Check all your drive screws to make sure that they are not loose

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Western Digitals are noisy.

9. charles7514

charles7514

iXneonXi; the gateway is a 97 model, plus it was a western digtal hd.

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Thanx i think u just answered one of my problems. My old '97 $2300 computer is finally getting old. The graphics card was all fried, probably beause a heating problem i didn't notice. You said the fan likely died which would explain the heat and ultimately the dead Voodoo Banshee it came with. Well i'll fix the gateway that shouldn't take long, thank goodness i have a spare fan. Well ttyl.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice