1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sodeo, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sodeo

sodeo Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives in my computer: a 40 gig Western Digital 7200rpm, and a 15 gig Maxtor 7200rpm.

When I try to read off of the Maxtor it is very very slow. It took me 4 days to format it. I can write files just fine, but when it tries to read a file, it moves to turtle speed. I moved the Maxtor to another computer and installed a clean copy of Windows 2000 pro on it. The install went fine... it took about 25 minutes. But when I went to boot up it took almost 10 minutes. Also, when I try to load any program it takes *FOREVER*. I installed Red Hat Linux 7.3, which had the same problem. I've removed all partitions, and manually entered cylinders/heads/etc in bios... still extremely slow.

I hope the hard drive isn't dying?... It is only 10 months old.

Please Help.

2. carltasha

carltasha

call the people at Maxtor , it sounds like something is wrong with it and you might get a new one.

3. wedor

wedor

Which channel is it on? Are there any !'s in Device Manager? Sounds more like you have a controller or cable problem.

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Carefully think about Wedor's analysis (above). See what you can do to validate or eliminate your components... swap cables and see if problem moves with the cable... swap devices on the controllers (if you can still boot) and see if the problem changes. If you had the "suspect" drive in a different machine and the problem/symptom was present that might indicate that the drive is the problem - but were you using a different cable to connect it or has the problem always occurred with the same cable on that drive ? Be creative... run a few more tests/configurations to see if you can further isolate the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice