1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive enclosure/external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ahoier, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahoier

ahoier Thread Starter

I'm looking into purchasing a hard drive enclosure/external hard drive...

What's the difference? I have three spare hard drives here; two are clearly marked IDE; and another one that looks like it's probably IDE. But in the stores they have 2.5inch and 3.5inch. what's the difference?

I measured one of the drives, and the "front" side of it is like 4 inches...or is the 2.5/3.5 the diameter of the physical "disk" inside of the enclosure?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

An enclosure lets you install other HDs .. or change the enclosure in case it fails.
    An enclosure will let you read other HDs .. such as one that won't boot.

I prefer enclosures .. they're more useful/flexible.

3. ahoier

ahoier Thread Starter

yea. That's what I'm looking into. From what I've seen, it's simply a case, that the hard drive slides in and out of as needed.

I was just mainly wondering what size enclosure I would need since these hard drives aren't labeled clearly :)

I actually found a page with one of the drives for sale, the WD400 - http://www.directron.com/wd40.html#caption

But no mention of the size, unless that 3.5LP signified 3.5inches..heh.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Attached Files:

• 696.jpg
      696.jpg
      File size:
      157.7 KB
      Views:
  7. ahoier

ahoier Thread Starter

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Most likely .. Were bouts in Florida ? .. got a Fry's outpost or Compusa nearby ??

Here's some more ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2000090092 1053807123&bop=And&Order=PRICE

The features I look for are, Easy assembly .. (I don't like messing with ribbon cables)
    And I'm kinda fussy ... (I like a front panel power switch)
    Most enclosures hide the power switch on the back panel .. and some do not have any.

It's my experience that the electronics in the enclosure are more likely to fail than the HD.
    So I like to have more than one .. dual backup .. and enclosure hardware backup.

What type HD does your computer have installed .. ATA or SATA ??

9. ahoier

ahoier Thread Starter

WDC WD1200JS-22NCB1 ATA is what's in here now.

wow, newegg looks nice...hehe.

But yea, something plug and play is what I'm looking for too; and easy to assemble.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice