1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive erase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tmh43, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmh43

tmh43 Thread Starter

I have a company laptop I am selling. I need to erase the hard drive first.
    But, I do not have the boot disk, I do not have a cd rom drive, I do not have an a: drive. All of the erase programs seem to require a floppy or the original software cd rom.

How can I erase either using a USB drive or go thru Windows XP?

Its a Dell laptop with XP Professional.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Will it boot from USB? If so just creat a boot 'floppy' with FDISK on it on the USB drive.

3. RandyG

RandyG

How would the buyer install an Operating System on it??

I suppose they would also have to buy an external floppy or CD-rom drive.

Anyway, the best way to make sure you have a "clean" hard drive is to "write zeroes" to it. this is done with a utility provided by the manufacturer of the hard drive, and will reset the hard drive to factory settings.

Dell makes the laptop, but your hard drive will have been from a Hard drive manufacturer, and you would need to go to their website to get the correct utility.

Take the hard drive out of the laptop and look for the manufacturers label. I don't know how you plan on getting the utility on the laptop, unless you can access the internet through that laptop, or you have an external drive that you can put the utility on and hook up to the laptop.

Of course, you can use the fdisk utility that is available through DOS and reset the partions, but this just removes linkages to data, not the actual data. Anyone with the knowledge and inclination would be able to recover most of the data on the drive if all you do is reset the partitions and reformat the drive.

4. tmh43

tmh43 Thread Starter

Be gentle...I am computer literate until it comes to the DOS O/S stuff.

I do not know if it will boot from a USB drive. I do not know how to do that even if it can be done. I also do not know where to get fdisk from and how to get it on the USB stick.

5. tmh43

tmh43 Thread Starter

Well I guess I'll have to get a cd rom drive for it. I saw several on Ebay for $10.00 or so. I am guessing I can have someone burn one of the erase programs on to a cd rom and I can then run it from my new cd rom drive.

I would donate it to you guys, but I have been layed off and need the dough.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/235697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice