1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Error 'Basic' to 'Dynamic'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by writingbuf, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writingbuf

writingbuf Thread Starter

I had an Acomdata external USB IDE HD used as backup storage. The data was password-protected with the software that came with the unit.

When the USB housing began to fail connecting to Windows, I connected the HD to the motherboard with the use of a SIIG Sata-to-IDE adapter.

My Windows 7 Pro O/S recognized the drive, but not the data.

In my frustration, I changed the drive type from 'basic' to 'dynamic.' I didn't format, just changed the drive type. No luck.

I then purchased an external Sabrent sata/IDE external housing unit... same 'invalid' dynamic error message within Disk Management.

When I {right-click} on the 'invalid' drive within Disk Management, it gives me these options:
    1) Convert to Basic Disk,
    2) Reactivate Disk, and
    3) Offline.

Did I lose all my data?
    Is there way to restore access?

ALL my backup is on this drive. Any suggestions or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

PC Info:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64-bit
    Intel i5 CPU, 750 @ 2.67 GHz w/16 MB RAM

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is in fact a backup of data [and not the only copy] it is simple. Just delete ALL volumes on the drive in question, create one or more partitions and format with ntfs. Copy the data from the original source back to the drive.

The only way I know of converting a dynamic disk to a basic disk is to do the above.

If the disk contained your ONLY copy of data, then it is not a backup. If that is the case and you attempted to convert back to a basic disk, you are going to have to either run data recovery software on the drive or send it to a shop that does data recovery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice