1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive error...how to fix

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phixgrrrl, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I don't know all the details but on a server here at work, one of the 6 hard drives' red light is on, meaning there are errors. I know its an HP 320 scsi drive, 72.8 GB. I know some manufacturers have utilities that check the hd for errors but I found none on HP's site. The guy that owns it tried the utilities that came w/XP and I don't know the details of what happened but he said they were of no help.
    Is there anything else I could suggest?

2. phoenixedge

phoenixedge

You live in Illinois so your aware that yesterday was a big storm in some areas. Perhaps that drive took a power surge or something.

3. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Yes I know...but it's been like this for weeks.

4. phoenixedge

phoenixedge

Is it at all possible that the power connection is loose but still semiconnected? And also if you need HD Tools, I check for Freeware Progs on CNET.com for utilities. Most of the time they will tell you the problems. They wont all fix them for free though as modern freeware is actually like a sampler to get you to unlock the remaining parts of the program

5. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
  6. phoenixedge

phoenixedge

AS long as it supports a sector scan and not just a basic error check it should be useful because bad sectors would be my best guess as to why your getting red lights on your drive, if in fact it isnt power surge damage.

7. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Well when he decides to run it I'll let you know.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice