Hard drive error...how to fix

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phixgrrrl

First Name
Danielle
I don't know all the details but on a server here at work, one of the 6 hard drives' red light is on, meaning there are errors. I know its an HP 320 scsi drive, 72.8 GB. I know some manufacturers have utilities that check the hd for errors but I found none on HP's site. The guy that owns it tried the utilities that came w/XP and I don't know the details of what happened but he said they were of no help.
Is there anything else I could suggest?

You live in Illinois so your aware that yesterday was a big storm in some areas. Perhaps that drive took a power surge or something.

phixgrrrl

First Name
Danielle
Yes I know...but it's been like this for weeks.

Is it at all possible that the power connection is loose but still semiconnected? And also if you need HD Tools, I check for Freeware Progs on CNET.com for utilities. Most of the time they will tell you the problems. They wont all fix them for free though as modern freeware is actually like a sampler to get you to unlock the remaining parts of the program

AS long as it supports a sector scan and not just a basic error check it should be useful because bad sectors would be my best guess as to why your getting red lights on your drive, if in fact it isnt power surge damage.

phixgrrrl

First Name
Danielle
Well when he decides to run it I'll let you know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts