1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failed - How to proceed now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PenguinX, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PenguinX

PenguinX Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives in a RAID 2 (span) set up, and one of them finally bit the dust. It was a Maxtor that failed, the other is a WD. They are both 120GB drives. Now, mind you, I knew this was coming, as the drives had been exhibiting erratic behavior for some time now, and refused to be defragmented. I have backed up most of my important stuff, so I have chosen to format the WD drive (the one that is still good, I checked both with the tool on the Maxtor site), and just use that one drive by itself. Now how would I go about doing this? Would I simply unplug the Maxtor and leave the WD by itself, and install windows on it (after formatting it)? What about the RAID, will I have to get rid of it somehow, IE: is it implanted into the mobo itself? Sorry for all the questions, and I am typing from a different computer (obviously I guess) so I can still provide feedback during the harddrive changing process.

I am running Windows XP home.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

On bootup there should be a prompt for going in to configure the raid array (some key combination). Go into the prompt and turn off the raid settings and just use the controller as a standard drive controller. Also remember if your Maxtor the boot drive you may have to change jumpers (If IDE) or to move the SATA cable to port 1 (if SATA and booting from port 1).

Then of course you still have the reinstall of the OS to do.

3. PenguinX

PenguinX Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try this later today when I have more time. The WD seems to be the primary drive, so I will probably not have to mess with any jumpers, only take off the RAID array? And yes these are IDE drives.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah if that was already primary then all you need to do is turn off the raid settup. Of course you will more than likely have to reinstall the OS too since you had the drives spanned. I think you mean you were running them Raid 0 though not 2 as 0 is alot more common and 2 behaves like you mention. Raid 2 has ECC checks in place not spanning like Raid 0.

5. PenguinX

PenguinX Thread Starter

Yes, I will be reinstalling the OS. Now that I think about it they were in something strange, like RAID 2+0. Around a year ago I had this same problem, only the drives were in stripe. I had no idea what do to and decided to take it into the shop for a format. Now I am sick of the problems and am just gonna ditch the defective drive, I don't need all that space anyway.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice