1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failed... I think... ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cromagnum, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cromagnum

Cromagnum Thread Starter

Okay... I was 99% sure that my hard drive failed. I booted up my computer and it hung at the post...

Detecting IDE drives....

Hung there for ages and the only way I could turn it off was by forcing it to shutdown (holding down the power button).

I tried rebooting several times after that with zero results. Power was on and fans were cranking. It even seemed like the hard drive was spinning. But nothing was coming thru. The monitor stayed in power save mode. My assumption was that the hard disk failed and wasn't providing any "boot up information". So of course I buy a new hard drive.

Now that I think about it though it sounds like I have a different problem. Even with the new hard drive installed I have the same problem... power, fans, hard drive spinning... but nothing.

I've reset the CMOS with no success.

Any suggestions? Please help.

(Running AMD 2200XP+ on Soyo Ultra Dragon KT333 M/B, 512 Mb RAM, GeForce Ti4200 128Mb Vid)

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

One of your ram sticks has probably died. Put the original hd back in and take one ram stick out and see if it boots. If it dosn't, take the other stick out and put tthe first stick back in.:)

3. mobo

mobo

Shut the pc down for a minute and see if the bios time is being kept. If not the the battery is in need of replacing and the bios doesn't have proper instructions on what to do on bootup.

Also unhook the cd drives and floppy (ide & power supplies) as well as replace the ide cable on the hard drive maybe with the one from the cd device.

Also enter the bios and look to see if the gard drive is getting detected as well as the cdrom and floppy drives. If not then whichever isn't is a good place to start.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/207201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice